Sailing to New Zealand from UK?

Tam_Hazan

Visit site
Anyone know of any cruising types who set out from the UK to New Zealand, but who routed via South Africa rather than through the Panama Canal? Would be interested to find out how such voyages went - just musing, you understand!

robstracey

www.myspace.com
I have passed through all the areas you would pass through, but in commercial ships.

In my opinion, the southern ocean weather isnt as bad as is made out, the north atlantic is far worce, as it is quite unpredictable, however it is almost seething with ships, so if you have difficulties, there is a good chance of being rescued, the southern ocean is far more deserted, you are pretty much on your own. We steamed from argentina to durban on a great circle course through the southern ocean, we saw no other ships, apart from one on long range scanning, untill we got within 100 miles of south africa

when is amazing down there are the albetross, its worth the risk just to see them.

ranga

Visit site
We sailed that route from UK to Australia. Five weeks from Cape Town to Perth was a long time - and going to New Zealand is further still. As far as passage making goes though - it was all downwind - we tacked just twice between the Canaries and Perth - lots of gybes though.

Talbot

Visit site
I considered the Brazil, Cape, Australia route, as being the fastest route to my eventual destination (western Aus), but panama, galapagos, and the pacific islands seems to have rather more to offer in terms of enjoyment.

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Not done either myself but I live and sail in NZ and every year meet tons of sailors on their way around the globe on various different tracks. And they nearly all agree on one thing, that the S Pacific is the best bit. That's not to say that the rest is rubbish, obviously not, but relatively speaking the S Pac consistently gets top points.

I've known people leave NZ, continuing west, get as far as the Solomons and then PNG, love it there but then it all goes wrong from there onwards..... and they often turn back this way.

Similarly I know people here in NZ who sailed from the UK via the Atlantic/Panama/Pacific and think about doing it again i.e. exactly the same route.

Me, I consider myself lucky to already be based in some of the best cruising grounds in the world and I'm preparing to leave NZ in a few days for a few weeks cruising up in the islands which are essentially on my doorstep (say 5-7 days to New Caledonia or Fiji depending on weather).

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com
We're setting off for Australia in 5 weeks from the UK and will be going via Panama and Pacific.

Looking at all the routing charts etc it seems the best way to go - plus much more of a cruise than going the other way. If it is a quick hop to meet a deadline then via south africa would be quickest, but if its a cruise and you want to see places then the pacific has to be the way to go.

Jonny

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Good luck, give us a shout if/when you stop-over in NZ. Opua and Gulf Harbour are good spots for the cruiser community.