sailing to greece

grafozz

Visit site
early stages of passage planning ofsail from south coast uk to ionian ,greece what are the prevailing winds during april/may in the central med?

<hr width=100% size=1>grafozz

davidbains

Visit site
Grafozz,
You should be able to find the relevant info in one of the Italian pilots.
I asume from your question that you will transit the French canals in March!?
The trip from the riviera to the straits of Messina is not difficult as long as
you follow the weather. Be prepared to rest up for a few days if the French forecast a
Mistral. I suggest you cross to Corsica with a good forecast. And then down the east coast
of Corsica. Stop in Porto Cervo in ne Sardinia (you can anchor). Then cross to Ponza.
Make your way down the Italian islands to Capri. From there head for the straits. You can
visit the Aeolian islands if the weather is settled. Pause at Reggio Calabria or the little
silting harbour round the toe of Italy. Then you're sheltered from any strong northerlies.
As long as no southerlies are forecast I usually sail overnight to Crotone. One nights rest
and you can then overnight to northern Corfu.
David.

<hr width=100% size=1>

piscosour

Visit site
I did that trip last year, or most of it. I set off from the Camargue in mid May to Bonafacio on Southern Corsica, Tiny place on SE Sardinia (forgot the name, but they had the worlds best and cheapest piza), Siracusa SE Sicily, Crotone Italy and then Corfu. As recommended by Jimmy Cornell, the trip was timed to coincide with prevailing north westerlies and ended up being a test of stamina for my trusty Merc OM366 diesel. 1100 nautical miles, 850 under engine. I don't mind sailing slowly but backwards is no fun. I'm told that last year was a freak. You should be fine in April/May. Enjoy the trip.

<hr width=100% size=1>

grafozz

Visit site
thanks, david. fascinating detail ,only thing is were going round the outside and the canals are too skinny for my cat !(5.4metres)but have noted your helpful tips.grafozz

davidbains

Visit site
Grafozz, I have a multi too and I spent a leisurely three weeks just getting to Gib.
Are you really going to do this in March! Southern Spain is not so multi friendly
since they charge by length times width !! And there aren't many anchorages on the
Costa del Sol. The first winter I left Aqua Blue in Almerimar. I'm now trying to find
a berth in northeast Italy although Greece is cheaper.

<hr width=100% size=1>

grafozz

Visit site
hi, david,nice to hear about you trip ,can you tell me more ?. Idont have firm plans to go in march, in fact I talked to a delivery skipper who said autumn would be a quieter time to go,I was trying to find an optimum time of year . I also will try to do almerimar to scicily in one ,long hit !(if I can find some dried water!! what did you average on your trip south?time of year , and time spent motoring?, cheers,grafozz

davidbains

Visit site
Grafozz, I can give you lots of info in the form of cruising articles I wrote
over the years, but we'd better move to PM's, and even direct email
David.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Doug_Stormforce

www.stormforce.biz
Best time for passage from South UK to Med is May to July, if you want to do it in 1 hit then skirt the Bay of Biscay and stay of Cape Finisterre (to avoid traffic), early summer provides more settled weather and often favourable winds. During summer winds of the Portugueses Coast are mainly Northerlies, which will ensure a fast sail South.

Once past Gib and Almeria again the best time of year is May to June, you have about 1000 miles to cover to reach Sicily and stops in the Balerics and Sardinia should not be ruled out. Winds vary greatly but West of Sardinia winds are either from E and NE or between W and SW (the fomer being slightly more common). Once past Sardinia the predominate wind during June to Aug is NW, once into September she blows from wherever she feels like.

Best departure time from UK will be May

<hr width=100% size=1>RYA Courses in the Solent at http://www.stormforce.biz
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Doug_Stormforce on 05/05/2004 18:29 (server time).</FONT></P>