Sailing on the Thames?

the_wanderer

Visit site
Ok. I was just trying to be helpful and save the chap a few bob. There is no need to be so smart and smug!

Probably won't bother in future. This forum is getting up places I will not mention!

I log on to it rarely these days. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Regards.

Alan.

Ps. Count me out of the tideway bash. I can't be bothered.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. I was just trying to be helpful and save the chap a few bob. There is no need to be so smart and smug!

Probably won't bother in future. This forum is getting up places I will not mention!

I log on to it rarely these days. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Regards.

Alan.

Ps. Count me out of the tideway bash. I can't be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, steady on mate, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks for your info, any I can get is worth having for me, because I will be absolutely new to it all.

I don't think Byron meant to be smug, he did put a wink smiley there.............Still he can answer for himself.

Chill out a bit, it's only a forum...........not life or death! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Obviously you didn't see the wink on my posting.

oceaneagle.jpg

pheran

Visit site
Let me assure you, whatever Byron has been called over the years, 'smart' has not been amongst them (not by his mates, at least) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BillyBloater

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You are so out-of-date /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
there's a brand spanking new slipway at bottom of Ferry Lane South Stoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful if you are going to use the South stoke slipway, the track leading to it is in a shocking state. I put a very large scratch down the side of my car when I used it last summer.

As I use it fairly regularly I contacted the council twice to try and get some improvements done - with no joy.

Such a shame the actual slipway is great.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Hey! why would they fix it for you, they will not fix it for me and I own the land all the way down on the left of the lane and used to own the other side too.
I have had to put my own 'road' in on my land because the lane is so bad.
oceaneagle.jpg

BillyBloater

Visit site
We managed to get West Berks to resurface (with type 1) the lane to Pangbourne slipway, oxfordshire seem to be a totally different ketle of fish - If you own the land at the side of the lane would you mind if I cut the fallen tree by the bridge back a bit for next year?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Cut anything back you like, I don't use it, Uncle Albert might use the lane but he has access via another route. Really the Parish Council should clear it all and it should be maintained by the County.... but as you know, they don't. The main problem is the potholes, I'm fed up repairing them as far as my garages and have given up.

BillyBloater

Visit site
I know, it is shocking, maybe we should try again in the spring.

What a shame to have such a good public slipway that can barely be accessed.

pheran

Visit site
Could be a commercial opportunity here Byron. A detour on to yours and a quick dash down the Ferry Lane Slipway Toll Road. Thank you Sir, that'll be 2/6d /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know, it is shocking, maybe we should try again in the spring.

What a shame to have such a good public slipway that can barely be accessed.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's more shocking than you realise. The slipway was put in and paid for by the village. They said it was only for the use of Villagers, I explained that you couldn't do that, if it was made on public land then the public could use it. Even if it were private how the hell could you enforce it at the end of a public highway? Of course they knew better, they raised the funds, had it built and guess what... no one from the village uses it but the public do. Parking of trailers & vehicles is a perennial problem even though the Police do sometimes come and 'ticket' vehicles that park across my bottom gate.
I was in favour of the slipway providing they bought or rented some land on the right to provide adequate parking for cars & trailers... but no, they said it wouldn't be needed because only villagers would be using it (sigh). Now they've washed their hands of it excepting the nice couple who regularly mow the grass there and remove the rubbish.

Other threads that may be of interest