Sailing on the Thames?

G

Hello, I have a small gaff rigged sailboat (15') that I thought I might like to trail to the Thames and have a potter about with.

My question is, what is the longest reach of the Thames that is navigable for sailing, without having to drop the mast, for bridges? mind you, the mast from truck to waterline is probably only about 18 feet.

oooops, sorry, meant to say non tidal reach /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ms1

Visit site
you might be better starting with where you can launch.
There is a slipway at Walton (Cowey Sale) which gives you Shepperton lock to Sunbury, not a great distance but it has the advantage of 2 channels .. the original loop around Shepperton and the Desborough Channel, and quite few places decent to stop.
Public slipways are not that plentiful .... you can use boatywards of course (small charge I expect)

Chertsey to Penton Hook is quite nice .. but the slipway at Laleham probably isnt any good for you.

Cookham to Marlow ? .. nice stretch

TrueBlue

Visit site
Now I'm going to spoil this one by making some "objections"

1). It's not a lot of good listing the reaches if they are too narrow in which to tack, or which are overhung by trees.

2). Not much point also if there's nowhere to launch your dinghy

3). Not an objection but what's the height if you lower the gaff and row through?

Now, at the beginning of the holiday I'm far too lazy to actually calculate anything so I'll do it by memory, and others more informed will I'm sure correct me....

<ul type="square">[*] Windsor to Maidenhead
Launch at the leisure centre slip and row it under the road bridge (just there)
Pass through Boveney lock
Enough height under Maidenhead railway bridge and possibly take it out at Maidenhead rowing club

[*] Cookham to Marlow
Similar to the above;
Launch by the pub, row under the road bridge,
Umm sorry didn't check the height of the railway bridge (ah, found bridge heights - 15' 6")
Two sailing clubs in this reach, one either side of the railway bridge, reasonably clear and wide.
Up to Marlow - A404 is 19'6"
Public slip just above the lock

[*] Marlow to Henley
Marlow bridge is 12' 2", but it is a suspension bridge so you could bowhaul it through from the bank.
If so, you are clear to Harleyford (but for footbridge 21'3") where there is a private slip. If you ask the Marina nicely they may allow you to use it.

If Not
there are two foot bridges at Hurley lock (14' 5" and 13' 1"), but you can fend off these.

Then you are clear to Henley, where again there is a slip on the offside 100 yds below the bridge.

[*] Henley to Wargrave
Haven't got the height of Wargrave Railway bridge

[*] Wargrave to Whitchurch
14' 2" height at Sonning bridge; very shallow away from the centre arch
17' 8" and 15' 0" at "Reading" then clear to Whitchurch.
[/list]
The reach from Caversham (Reading) to Whitchurch is the longest that I can think of with no obstructions.
There is a slip 'twixt the bridge and the rowing club.

Well that's enough for now; let's see what the experts can do!

byron

RIP
Visit site
The stretch from Cleve to Wallingford Bridge. You will enjoy approximately 6 miles before you reach a bridge that you will not get under. We do have a good dinghy sailing club on this reach too.

G

Thanks all for your input, sorry didn't get back sooner, but my server was having problems last night /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That is exactly what I was after, a few options that I can investigate. I do have an outboard and oars of course, and don't object to using either, I just thought that if I had some favourable wind it would be nice to sail along quietly. I appreciate that regular Thames users, would not appreciate me tacking all over the oggin! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Incidentally the boat is a Devon Potter, that I am in the process of restoring, she is all varnished mahogany on oak, with teak laid foredeck, and will be gaff cutter rigged, so about 19 feet LOA........so not too scruffy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
I know not a lot about sailing boats generally, but good old google helps:-
devon2.jpg

and here -

medthames1.jpg

Looks very practical

"We" have a number of visitors in unusual craft and they add make a diversion from the more usual cruisers, and ummm, narrowboats. You would be most welcome and if you do come you'll find lots of people asking you about your boat - including some of the lock keepers. For example there are several overseas rowing clubs who bring their skiffs over to row downstream (I keep meeting a group from Denmark). A fair number of punts or skiffs emulate Three Men in a Boat and camp overnight.

Might I suggest you do some more research - Chris Cove_Smith's The River Thames Book (Imray) is about the best book on the subject. go to http://www.visitthames.co.uk/Publications/outandabout.html and download all or some of their maps, indifferent quality and some details are wrong, but a jolly free guide to get you started

I don't know how licensing works for small visitors, but for an unpowered boat (don't mention the o.b.) a full calendar year's license is only about 30 quid.

Last bit of gratuitous information is to bring some girt big fenders with you as the lock walls and laybyes are nasty gritty concrete and traffic will wash you on.

If you want anymore details do post again - especially as your thread will be read by others seeking details (or PM me)

My aim is to get more peeps using this glorious river and make it more "colourful".

G

Hi TB, your top photo is spot on, the one below is one of the smaller dinghies that Wooton Bridge made. I am going to make my Potter into a cutter, by making a new bowsprit, (longer) and a flying jib.

Thanks for the link and the extra info, I will go and have a look and see what's what. I could rig the mast so that it will lower swiftly down for shooting bridges, but I will have to see if I think it's worth it for a one off trip.

I just felt that gentle meander on a nice couple of sunny days, maybe camping on the boat? would be very pleasant.

Ah! another question, Antifouling, is there any problem using a boat on the Thames that has sea going antifoul, or would I have to give her a coat of some fresh water stuff?

G

[ QUOTE ]
Smiffy,

That sounds really pleasant.... a nice mooch up the Thames on a warm summers day....... ahhhhhhhhh!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Neil, well that's what I thought.......seems to me that there should be loads of room for a tiddly wee boat? Nice and easy to handle, no stress, a bottle or two of Chardonnay? A picnic basket, stocked with suitable goodies? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmmmmmmm, starting to sound like a nice idea!

G

[ QUOTE ]
One of our members keeps a sailing boat on the club finger moorings and uses it between Sunbury and Molesey Locks. There are some pretty active dinghy sailing clubs in that length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Andrew, What sort of distance would that be? Suitable for an out and back two day sojourn? Any launching facilities?

TrueBlue

Visit site
Smiffy,
Sorry about the second pic, it was just below the Potter, and it looked - well similar...

I know nothing about anti-foul, so won't answer that one.

Picking up Andrew's suggestion Molesey to Sunbury is about three miles so that won't challenge you much or even take two days. To stretch his suggestion a bit, I think you could launch off a trailer at Thames Ditton (two possible sites) or even at Minima YC at Kingston 1 mile downstream or Tamesis YC near Teddington. it may also be possible to launch / recover at Shepperton by Nauticalia.

The bridges between Teddington and Shepperton are 17ft or more and the distance by river is 11 miles, still not much of a challenge especially as it would take less than a day just floating downstream.

Come to think of it you're completely spoilt for choice. Before I refrain from any more suggestions just two items for your consideration:-

The river is quite built up as you proceed upstream, and although there are plenty of places to moor it can be noisy. It's more pleasant above Windsor.

As you have a traditional boat you might be interested in incorporating your trip with a visit to the Thames Traditional Boat Rally held at Henley in July -

http://www.tradboatrally.com/

Their web site looks much improved and I may even attend as a spectator!

Enough!

Mike

G

Hello Mike, Well, erm......I went and had a look at the Tradboat Rally site, some lovely craft there right enough, might all be a bit posh for a country boy from down Devon way though! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Above Windsor sounds good, would prefer quieter, and more rural. I will look into that area and see what I can find, I have plenty of time, and researching a trip, even one as relatively simple as this is interesting and a bit of fun these cold winter evenings.

As a bit of an aside, can you still lock into the Kennet and Avon at Newbury, or have I got that wrong?

Thanks for all your help everybody, much food for thought.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
might all be a bit posh for a country boy from down Devon way though!

As a bit of an aside, can you still lock into the Kennet and Avon at Newbury, or have I got that wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't for heavens sake be put off by the immaculate launches at Henley, some of their owners if not all are eminently approachable anything that's not plastic or tin is acceptable, especially if the work is mostly your own. It's the common interest which counts.

Not sure what you really mean by "lock in at Newbury" - The K&A starts at Reading where it joins the Thames and you can go all the way down to the floating harbour at Bristol. Not the sort of trip for single handed working or a nice wooden boat - IMHO.

Don't know where it's possible to launch there; furrin' territory for me.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to you as Well.

Mike

pheran

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Reading, not Newbury.Take a left just by the old gasometers, then a few hundred yards up to Blakes Lock. Once through that you are on the K&A proper which will take you all the way to Newbury via a number of manually(self)operated locks and several very low bridges, some of which lift but others don't!

Chris_d

Visit site
When I was about 13 I and a couple of mates sailed a 13ft dinghy from Wallingford to Reading, we camped overnight at Beale Park. That part of the Thames is probably one of the best for sailing, there are several very wide exposed reaches you can sail well along. Also there are loads of places you can just stop and moor or camp without really needing to seek permission or pay, further down there are less opportunties to just pullover anywhere and camp, start a fire etc...
I've no idea how high our mast was back then but I think the only bridge we had to step the mast for was Whitchurch toll bridge, but all part of the fun.
The river is unfortuantely even quieter these days, but you'll still have fantastic a time.

G

Thanks for that, will give it a look see /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the_wanderer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The stretch from Cleve to Wallingford Bridge. You will enjoy approximately 6 miles before you reach a bridge that you will not get under. We do have a good dinghy sailing club on this reach too.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a handy free slipway at Cholsey near Wallingford that will suit your boat. I have used it a few times for my forteen footer with ease. My car and trailer was left there for a couple of days in the road with no trouble but a few locks and chains would be recommended.

Regards.

Alan.

byron

RIP
Visit site
You are so out-of-date /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
there's a brand spanking new slipway at bottom of Ferry Lane South Stoke.

Other threads that may be of interest