Sailing from Greece To Sardinia 2019

daveg45

Visit site
Hi all,

I am planning sailing from the Ionian to Sardinia and Corsica this spring/early summer and would appreciate some input of routes/harbours/anchorages on the way. The plan so far is to transit the Messina Straits (advice on that welcome) sail the west coast of Italy to Elba. Any local knowledge of safe anchorages, relatively affordable harbours and good places to refuel and fill the water tanks would be good. Also anyone who has done the passage from the ionian info on the harbours used on passage to the Massina Straits would be useful too. 42ft sailing boat.

Cheers David

RupertW

Visit site
We did the same -but from Croatia last year and I’m so glad we did the southern route to enjoy Sicily, particularly Taormina, Aolian and Egadi islands. Not much to stop for between Corfu and Taormina - and just be ready for the (translated) Bay of Squalls. We didn’t translate the name so were a bit surprised and the exciting 12 hours in an otherwise calm trip.

Visit site
I did it last year.
Taormina, and the Aolian Islands were amongst the highlights. I also enjoyed the sandy beaches immediately after going through the Strait. It does get very shallow there though, so be careful.

Porto Pollo in Northern Sardinia is nice. Great if you like the Windsufing, Kite Surfing crowd and party scene. If not, anchor the other side, away from it all, and enjoy the beach.

On Corsica, you can stay in Bonnifacio marina for up to an hour at no charge. I used this to get water (which was free).

BurnitBlue

Visit site
It will be late Spring before I head towards Spain, Gibraltar, onwards. Advice from sailaboutvic was to head direct to Malta for the initial escape from Greece. In my opinion harbour hopping is a waste of time unless there is a specific reason to enter harbour. Sailing by night is little different to sailing during the day. Cooler, mostly same weather, less hassle, don't forget the Italian translation of insurance docs if you do enter Italy.

nortada

Visit site
It will be late Spring before I head towards Spain, Gibraltar, onwards. Advice from sailaboutvic was to head direct to Malta for the initial escape from Greece. In my opinion harbour hopping is a waste of time unless there is a specific reason to enter harbour. Sailing by night is little different to sailing during the day. Cooler, mostly same weather, less hassle, don't forget the Italian translation of insurance docs if you do enter Italy.

Don't think Lady Nortada would agree with you.:rolleyes:

'Long passage making is a pain'.:(

Sailing is a means of taking her 'home' from place to place to enjoy their ambiance. :cool-new::very_drunk::biggrin-new:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Don't think Lady Nortada would agree with you.:rolleyes:

'Long passage making is a pain'.:(

Sailing is a means of taking her 'home' from place to place to enjoy their ambiance. :cool-new::very_drunk::biggrin-new:

That is the problem, to absorb the ambience it is necessary to stay for a week. If the place is so bad it is necessary to leave next day then a waste of money time and effort. Other wise, just a waste of time.

Actually, I was replying to the first poster who indicated he wanted to go to Sardinia. My advice, sail for as long as the weather holds.

Imagine Captain James T Cook harbour hopping to Australia. By the time he got there the place would have been French. (or Spanish).

If you have a destination go for it and only stop over when you have reason

QED and all that.

Last edited:

daveg45

Visit site
Hi BurnitBlue, I sailed direct from Malta to Corfu when I sailed to Greece a few years ago. Doing long passages is good and I enjoy them but the problem is you don't get to see anything along the way. I am hoping on my return trip to see more places otherwise what is the point in going?

Minchsailor

Visit site
Messina Straits - be aware that there is a significant tidal stream. I did this many years ago and approaching from the south we didn't go anywhere for about 6 hours. I seem to remember that there are some tide table referenced to HW Gibraltar.

It is definitely worthwhile scheduling a couple of days in the Aolian Islands.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Hi BurnitBlue, I sailed direct from Malta to Corfu when I sailed to Greece a few years ago. Doing long passages is good and I enjoy them but the problem is you don't get to see anything along the way. I am hoping on my return trip to see more places otherwise what is the point in going?

If you want to see places on the way using your own needs and decisions then enter the harbour. Asking the forum for places on the way is using other peoples wants and desires and indicates, it seems to me, that the OP has no particular desire except the one destination which is Sardinia and is looking for suitable stopping places. I am not the "Flying Dutchman" I also enter harbours to look around. However, if I have a specific destination, I try to get there while the weather holds. The OP stated he wanted to get to Sardinia. I gave my advice.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@Daveg45 just click who you are :). Getting slow in my old age ,
I get around to email you the info you ask for when we last talk , just a bit busy trying to finish off a few job then need to be done this week .

BurnitBlue

Visit site
If you want to see places on the way using your own needs and decisions then enter the harbour. Asking the forum for places on the way is using other peoples wants and desires and indicates, it seems to me, that the OP has no particular desire except the one destination which is Sardinia and is looking for suitable stopping places. I am not the "Flying Dutchman" I also enter harbours to look around. However, if I have a specific destination, I try to get there while the weather holds. The OP stated he wanted to get to Sardinia. I gave my advice.

Yet another Oooops from me. I replied to Daveg45 without realising HE was the OP. Sorry.