Sailfish 18, how restricted is your vision?

steve yates

I've read a couple of times they are a pita to see from on the helm, as the coach roof hides your view ahead.

Has anyone who owned one of these got any practical experience of this? Is it just small people who have a problem?

Any other pros and cons while were at it? I might be going to look at one that's for sale as my first boat.

Will be used in coastal waters.

Thx,

LONG_KEELER

A friend of mine had a Sailfish and I had a few trips in it.

I'm over six feet and found the vision very difficult.

You either have to stretch and look from the sides or duck down and look through the front window of the cabin.

The Sailfish is a cracking boat that is great in every other way. She is also very fast.

Simonpk

Had a similar problem on Pageant but if I sat on the cockpit coaming it gave my the extra height for good visibility. The coamings were quite narrow & got uncomfortable after a while so I mounted a "bum" sized wooden pad on top to sit on. Worked for me.

sailorman

I've read a couple of times they are a pita to see from on the helm, as the coach roof hides your view ahead.

Has anyone who owned one of these got any practical experience of this? Is it just small people who have a problem?

Any other pros and cons while were at it? I might be going to look at one that's for sale as my first boat.

Will be used in coastal waters.

Thx,

a chap i know had the keel drop out of its housing

Binman

I get a clear view ahead on my Pandora 700, may be that's because the cabin head height is under five foot, but then I don't spend any time in the cabin.

LONG_KEELER

I also have the option of looking at a sandpiper 565, is the vision any better than the sailfish on this ? I think it's had the keel mod done too, but will certainly ask!

Looks nice. Why not take a look if she's not too far away.

In this length of boat, the trick is to find one where you can sit upright down below and still see over the coach roof when sailing.

Plus all the other things you would like. Not easy.....................