Saildrive Props

G

A friend of mine has not got a P.C so has asked me to pose this query on his behalf.

He has recently lost one of his folding props off his Volvo 2001 saildrive and thought that it would be a simple operation to purchase a single prop from volvo. However this is not to be he is told he has to purchase the pair at a cost of nearly 500.00 hard earns. Apparently this seems to be quite a common problem with these units . He was wondering if anyone had experienced this problem and managed to have a matching blade cast ? And are they both the same shape so
a mould could be taken from the remaining prop, then balanced? Not he usual query I admit but he does feel that Volvo are holding him to ransome!

scottie

Visit site
all folding props should have matched blades not just balanced

if a blade has come off usually it is lokely that the lock screw holding the swivel pin was not replaced (they have a nyloc insert and are not meant to be re-used)

he could always fit a fixed prop but would need a cone nut

ColinS

Visit site
Your friend should try Keyparts. I got a very good deal on a folding prop for my Volvo last year, although there was a limited supply and the cheapies may have run out. Even so, they will always be cheaper than Volvo dealers.

G

Re: Saildrive Props - free offer!

I have a 16x11 Volvo saildrive prop I don't want. It is slightly wobbly. I have yet to get the blades off (despite trying very hard - it needs someone with some skill to get the bolts out now I have knackered them).

Anyone willing to fund the postage from Norway can have it - otherwise it goes in the bin eventually.

First e-mail to v.thomas@online.no gets it.

regards