Sailboat calculations

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
In my head, that's an under canvassed boat. How's that same boat going to perform in a F3 to windward when there in no more plain sail to put up?
I would rather have sail area that can be reefed.
Any boat going to windward in F5 upwards is going to get knocked about. It's one of those things that you grin and bare rather than enjoy on long passages
I agree with that completely. In my head, you need to be fully powered up by 12-15 kn. Then you depower the sails by flattening, traveller off, etc, then reef. Obviously mine is a completely different kind of boat to whats being discussed, but some principles are universal.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
A few things to consider in regards to comparing boats.

Stability increases to the forth power as size increases. To illustrate: if you were to double the size of a boat, the larger one would be 16 times as stable. To note, the sail area will only have increased four times by comparison.

The OP's boat, I understand, is only 30' long. It is hardly valid to compare it to a 46 footer.

It is precisely this disregard for the laws of similitude that I find discouraging when discussing boats on this forum.
When someone demonstrates that a thirty footer in proper cruising trim is not likely to plane, someone will immediately point to a 45 footer that supposedly does, even though it is factually 3.4 times bigger.

In terms of seaworthiness, size matters in every sense: speed, volume, load carrying ability, stability and consequently sail-carrying ability.

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Sailboatdata is a brilliant resource for us sailors who previously only had paper based details like Dayton's and suchlike. As others have mentioned, I always ignored some of the calculations as not being valid or reliable indicators.

Anyway, for fun, I looked up some of these numbers for my boat.

It appears that I am one hardcore old man. The Comfort Ratio is 9.89 with a Capsize Formula of 2.67. I wonder if Marine Insurance companies factor in these kind of numbers.

Tranona

Visit site
It appears that I am one hardcore old man. The Comfort Ratio is 9.89 with a Capsize Formula of 2.67. I wonder if Marine Insurance companies factor in these kind of numbers.

No because they have no measurable impact on risk or claims. Vast majority of claims are for weather related damage, theft and low speed collisions. If you were going offshore and out of their comfort zone then they may well check whether your boat is suitable for the planned voyage as well as your ability to undertake it.