Sail with us to Douarnenez [wonderful spam]

Soteria

Visit site
We have 9 berths available for £200 all found (except food etc.at Douarnenez) to sail on the gaff schooner Soteria from Shoreham to attend the Chausee Maree Douarnenez 2006 event which runs from 27 to 31st July. Sailing from Shoreham on the 24th arr in Douarnenez on the 26th leaving again on the 31st/1Aug. Fantastic opportunity to sail on a traditional boat to enjoy the worlds best classic boat event. keelbolt@hotmail.com Call me early. Guy on 07968-125793. see her on http://www.yourskipper.co.uk/soteria/

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Hmm, yes. From the IPC "User terms and conditions":

You agree that you will not use the Web Site or any of the Web Site Services as follows:

.......... • for any purposes connected to any business, including sending any unsolicited advertisements or promotional material;

Spam, spam, spam, spam.......

Soteria

Visit site
where do you find the time to act as a forum police? Anyway this is the third time I have been to a forum but I see you have been several thousand times! In weather like this I would thing any self-respecting mariner would want to be at sea than sitting in front of a screen!

yachtie8

Visit site
Guy_Willson is making a perfectly valid advert for an event / trip which would be of interest to any genuine Classic boat sailor, and I fully support his post.
Maybe the computer geeks of this forum would lighten up a tad and not claim ownership of this forum so much.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
No he isn't, he is trying to sell berths on a charter trip. This is contrary to forum rules. In fact, I had no objection to, nor interest in, the post until he decided the right response to being "caught out" was to be rude rather than state his case as you have done quite reasonably.
BTY where do computer geeks come into this discussion?

ccscott49

Visit site
If he'd posted this on for sale would that have been OK? He could also have made a reference to it here, would that be OK? Anyway, wish I could go!!

citibhoy

Visit site
rules- regulations- clipes- moderators.....

i bet the self same indignants about the 'offending' post are those against compulsory registration... CC exams.. drink/sailing limits... and all for self regulation, except where they dain a breach/offence.

pathetic...

hope the cruise to brittany goes well....

im not sure if you work with deserving charities, but i would be happy to sponsor a couple of passages on said voyage. Indeed a great opportunity.

citibhoy

Visit site
From the Merriam Webster

Ingratiate

Main Entry: in·gra·ti·ate
Pronunciation: in-'grA-shE-"At
Function: transitive verb

'to gain favor or favorable acceptance for by deliberate effort'

citibhoy

Visit site
JS48,

it is quite possible that Mr Wilson would rather not 'gain favor for by deliberate effort' .with the Mr jhr... however ill deffer to your obviously more intimate knowledge of these maters.

oh to be a sage.......

Sixpence

Visit site
I'm very interested , and wouldn't have known of your existance without the post . Cant make this year , but your site is set on favourites for next year

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Ho hum; I seem to have been in a sanctimonious mood yesterday.

I'm not the Forum police, but I thought your original post was a bit cheeky and responded in an accordingly light-hearted way.

But to repeat the same thing again is, imho, taking the p!ss, though plainly not everyone agrees.

Anyway, I think I'll go back to being facile on The Lounge. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
You made three posts in short succession and I'm not sure I understand them. Anyway, commercial posts are in the eye of the beholder to a large extent and this one doesn't seem to have caused the indignation that others have. That was not my point; my objection was to the unnecessarily rude response. Whether or not you want the forum to become open to commercial posts is another matter.

Soteria

Visit site
I certainly did not expect the responses that I have seen on the forum, as I said forums are a totally new experience for me. I really appreciate the positive comments and especially from citibhoy's offer of sponsorship. We are associated with a charity and as long as any donation comes with a letter identifying any sponsorship with sailing passages on Soteria this should not be a problem. Give me a buzz on 07968-125793.

EASLOOP

Visit site
Your post makes no reference to a charity but reads simply as an ad offering a product - a berth - at a price. Perhaps if it was made clear that this was an event the proceeds of which would go to a named charity then people would probably be more willing to accept it.

The real problem here is that if one is allowed to advertise services and products on this forum then where would you draw the line. Would it be OK for me to publish a list of items I wished to sell with each innocent post I made?

It seems that either we accept advertising or we don't. My view is that we do not accept advertising other than that where the sole beneficiary is a worthwhile and recognised charity.

PBO did just this selling raffle tickets recently.

Bergman

Visit site
Salty John presumably is a non commercial organisation.

Lighten up a bit - its a post on a forum.

Just look around how many posters manage to include a line for their business, everything from mobile phones to unmentionabletron.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
I think it must be the heat but these past few days I have been berated by racists, racist apologists, drunks and bullies. A little light sarcasm comes as a relief - thank you!

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Advertising is against forum rules. There is tacit agreement with our hosts that in return for behaving responsibly a blind eye is turned to the links that some of us put at the end of our posts.
I donate to charity too, but I don't think it removes my obligation to follow the rules.
Mr Willson is laughing at you all.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Forum rules say

3).....if you see something that you don't like, or you think we would not like, please simply click on the notify moderator button on the post and we will deal with it.

No doubt Keith has seen this post and in his wisdom has deemed it acceptable in the context of how it was posted and what the offering is; and to use your words "is turning a blind eye". The fact that it is still visible indicates (to me anyway) an approval by the Management to the post (and I don't object to it either!)