Sail Drive Servicing

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I would do the anodes regardless of condition whilst its out - a friend has just had to pay out £7000 to replace two sail drives on his 3 year old Lagoon because they corroded in the 18 months since he changed anodes - admittedly too long to go but to go from fine to unserviceable in that time makes me cautious enough to now diary note to do mine every 6 months - its cheap and easy to do so why risk it...

that seems over the top , I just changed mine which were 16 month old , although in that time we only been marina base for 12 weeks and there was plenty of meat left , I could had easily left them for another 8 month with out worrying .
maybe he had some other problem. worth looking into .

JohnGC

Visit site
that seems over the top , I just changed mine which were 16 month old , although in that time we only been marina base for 12 weeks and there was plenty of meat left , I could had easily left them for another 8 month with out worrying .
maybe he had some other problem. worth looking into .

I change mine every year even though they always look as though they'd last another. However, this year I compared the old and new by weight (just in my hands) the difference was much more noticeable than by sight alone.

John

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I change mine every year even though they always look as though they'd last another. However, this year I compared the old and new by weight (just in my hands) the difference was much more noticeable than by sight alone.

John

that's interesting John , mine had a few bits here and there eaten away but there was plenty of it left , maybe because we live on our hook for 9 months each year and not based in a marina .

Dipper

Visit site
The oil you're wiping off the dipstick at the top is no indication of the actual state of the oil at the bottom of the saildrive. Drain it into a clear container (PP water bottle), let it settle over night and you'll see what's in it.

I agree especially if the unit has been left stationary for some time. On one occasion my oil looked clear until I drained it. Then I had to renew the shaft seals as they were allowing seawater to pass. I also had a new shaft fitted as that was worn.

JohnGC

Visit site
that's interesting John , mine had a few bits here and there eaten away but there was plenty of it left , maybe because we live on our hook for 9 months each year and not based in a marina .

I have weighed the old anode. Although it just looks a little pitted, it has lost 25% of its mass.

John

Viking

Visit site
Top tip. Found that on all andoes on the saildrive, its the fixing screw area which goes first. So I now put a spot of antifouling around the screw areas. Also fix the screws with 'screwlok'