Saga 26HT

trailshredder

Visit site
Hello all,
Recently purchased a fairly rare (at least in the US) Saga 26HT. Looking to gather more information on the boat. I know they are built in Norway. This one is powered with the Volvo Penta KAMD 44 diesel engine with a Volvo Penta outdrive. Does anyone have any familiarity with this boat. A few interesting mysteries so far …. All boats I have owned (this is the 6th) have had a drain plug, a fuse or breaker panel for every appliance/feature, this boat does not. We love the layout of the boat and all the features including, Windlass, Garmin electronics (Charts, GPS, radar, sonar), kerosene stove, diesel heater, AC and full head.

j24jam

Visit site
Hello all,
Recently purchased a fairly rare (at least in the US) Saga 26HT. Looking to gather more information on the boat. I know they are built in Norway. This one is powered with the Volvo Penta KAMD 44 diesel engine with a Volvo Penta outdrive. Does anyone have any familiarity with this boat. A few interesting mysteries so far …. All boats I have owned (this is the 6th) have had a drain plug, a fuse or breaker panel for every appliance/feature, this boat does not. We love the layout of the boat and all the features including, Windlass, Garmin electronics (Charts, GPS, radar, sonar), kerosene stove, diesel heater, AC and full head.
Yes I have one of these (and sold a few more as broker).

I've got the shaft version, so slightly different but much will be the same.

Feel free to send over any questions.

trailshredder

Visit site
This is awesome to hear! I do have a few questions on some issues we have run into. We did pay for a survey and have not been very happy with several things the surveyor missed and looking like we are pretty much stuck with now. Our Saga has windlass that appears to not have power to it, although the surveyor stated the windlass functions. Is there a breaker/fuse in a hidden place for this? As there is not a main switch for it on the helm. The refrigerator is another item that does not appear to have power to it that the survey reported functions. These seem like some very basic things for a surveyor to miss so a part of us thinks we are missing something. We have both main battery disconnects turned on (Start and Service). Since the boat does not appear to have a drain plug, how do you get water completely out of the boat once pulled out of the water? Shop-Vacuum?

j24jam

Visit site
This is awesome to hear! I do have a few questions on some issues we have run into. We did pay for a survey and have not been very happy with several things the surveyor missed and looking like we are pretty much stuck with now. Our Saga has windlass that appears to not have power to it, although the surveyor stated the windlass functions. Is there a breaker/fuse in a hidden place for this? As there is not a main switch for it on the helm. The refrigerator is another item that does not appear to have power to it that the survey reported functions. These seem like some very basic things for a surveyor to miss so a part of us thinks we are missing something. We have both main battery disconnects turned on (Start and Service). Since the boat does not appear to have a drain plug, how do you get water completely out of the boat once pulled out of the water? Shop-Vacuum?
Windlass - we have a separate breaker for this fitted below the steering wheel. It's clearly a retro fit so yours could be anywhere.

Fridge - we have a push button breaker for this on the 12V panel

Drain plug - port side of the keel, basically below the lowest part of the bilge. Ive installed 2 bilge pumps in the bilge, one diaphragm pump with a hose down into the deepest part of the bilge and a higher power auto float one in the top of the bilge well in case we take on lots quickly.

Here are the pics of each of these items:Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 23.31.22.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 23.31.43.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 23.31.43.png
    922 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 23.33.23.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 23.33.23.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 5

trailshredder

Visit site
Thanks for the info, appreciate it a bunch! Was able to trace down the solenoid for the windlass and appeared to just be a loose nut. It is working now. As for the refrigerator, I pulled it out and put a meter on the leads and it had voltage. Checked all the connections on the circuit board and they all seemed good. Going to likely replace the refrigerator.

There is something mounted on the aft wall in the head near the exhaust fan switch that has us baffled on what it is. I have a picture of it but this forum isn't allowing me to browse to my drive to attach it.

j24jam

Visit site
Thanks for the info, appreciate it a bunch! Was able to trace down the solenoid for the windlass and appeared to just be a loose nut. It is working now. As for the refrigerator, I pulled it out and put a meter on the leads and it had voltage. Checked all the connections on the circuit board and they all seemed good. Going to likely replace the refrigerator.

There is something mounted on the aft wall in the head near the exhaust fan switch that has us baffled on what it is. I have a picture of it but this forum isn't allowing me to browse to my drive to attach it.
I suspect that is your grey water bilge pump switch (for the shower drain water)

trailshredder

Visit site
j24jam, I see you also have the Raytheon Sport Pilot. Mine will not hold its course when engaged. I decided to troubleshoot it a little and quickly discovered one of the 3 wire harnesses is cut, that guessing went to the fluxgate compass. I cannot find the fluxgate compass mounted anywhere. The boat has an updated Garmin GPSmap XSV unit installed. I am thinking maybe the previous owner was going to use the Garmin as the compass. Is that possible?

j24jam

Visit site
j24jam, I see you also have the Raytheon Sport Pilot. Mine will not hold its course when engaged. I decided to troubleshoot it a little and quickly discovered one of the 3 wire harnesses is cut, that guessing went to the fluxgate compass. I cannot find the fluxgate compass mounted anywhere. The boat has an updated Garmin GPSmap XSV unit installed. I am thinking maybe the previous owner was going to use the Garmin as the compass. Is that possible?
Yes, the legendary sport pilot. It’s lethal when working.

My surveyor described it as a crazy Ivan, as it will chose where it wants to steer. And my experience wasn’t much different. It’s too slow to react and then overreacts, so it’s terrible in anything other than glassy calm conditions.

I actually broke it this year, as I always think the stalk is like an indicator, I’ve managed to break that off, and the ribbon cable is torn,

It’s in the garage awaiting attention, although I may not bother as it really was pretty rubbish.

My flux gate compass is located under the seat just aft of the “galley”

Perhaps your garmin has a built in compass, not sure of the comparability with the crazy Ivan though, sorry. I’m fairly certain most autopilots have a dedicated one.