Safety Equipment Q's?

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: Hang on a doggone minute, pardners

It's a good point Ken, and I am conscious of the extra weight factor as well. I was hoping to get plenty of replies, so thanks to all for the different ideas, now I can assimilate and decide.

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Re: Hang on a doggone minute, pardners

I'm also very impressed with what strong stomachs everyone has- I've found that I can't go anywhere near the engine at sea without the diesel smell making me paralitically seasick.

Because of this I don't carry much in the way of spares (beyond what might be hard to get hold of in out of the way places). Probably not an ideal attitude, but I can't see any point of carrying heavy and bulky spares and tools when I'd never be in a fit condition to use them.

andy_wilson

Visit site
Re: Safety Equipment Q\'s?

I hope you have better luck than I had a year or two ago in getting a discount for a fit out. A local non-affiliated outlet (Trafalgar, Fareham) came up with the goods for me. I was spending about £2.5K

Buckets with strong lanyards.

Two good bilge pumps, tested in anger (a couple of buckets full of water in the bilge) to make sure the diaphagms arn't split or streching. Good strum boxes, clean bilges. Pump handles clipped nearby and with attached with lanyards.

Mallet to hit the bungs in so they stay in!

Cheap recording electric barometer (Argos). The trend is more important than the absolute, but these tend to be more reliable than aneroids anyway, provided mounted dry.

Large bolt croppers, hand vice/clamp, full size hacksaw, all with wrist loops or carabinas for harness, all for the same purpose, clearing debis on a pitching deck.

Some form of mid-ships boarding device. Stern ladders are vicious in a seaway.

Minimum 2 x Ropes LOA, 2 X Ropes twice LOA, 1 Rope V. long (40m or more) for towage, could be kedge warp.

Storm sail? Deep reef in the main and a decent setting storm jib should get you out of trouble in the Irish Sea within the scope of the weather forecasts. At least a deep slab reefed main will sail to windward.

Fire extinguishers, blanket, which then raises the issue of liferaft. Is the dinghy substantial? If heavy weather (say F5 + causes a fault > engine fire, you would pray for a liferaft. I had a battery terminal rip off in a F8 despite having batteries strapped down. Shake powder extinguishes twice a season to release compacted extinguishant. Better still persuade your local fire extingusher merchant to give you some of the Halon extinguishers recently removed from customers premesis. far more effective extinguishant at sea, leaves a chance of re-starting the engine after deployment for instance.

Therefore also strong battery boxes / straps. Fuses on battery leads (I haven't).

All lockers, cupboards and washboards securable in any event (ie to stay in place / fastened upside down), whilst we are still sailing down under.

Spare oil to do a complete change, oil and fuel filters, impeller and gaskets. As important is the ability to change these easily and quickly, therefore do own basic servicing and be familiar with engine and fuel system, incl. bleeding.

Torch in clip over each bunk (think night fire) and one by companion way, next to knife and white warn-off flare).

Fender mat approx 1.5m X .75m to protect hull from fender rub, from the beach in the event of an accidental dry-out at 60 degrees (heel not latitude) or to cover a hole in the event of a prang at or near waterline. Heavy vinyl with 2cm foam padding, strong lines at each corner.

The list goes on.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: Safety Equipment Q\'s?

Is a liferaft part of the kit required for IRC? Have been reading their rules and can't see specific detail on this or the others, just wondering if it is mentioned somewhere else?

I am the only bod in my office so can't see them sending me on a course but will ask the question!