Saddo league

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Is there anyone out there who's a saddo like me?

I thouroughly enjoyed tinkering with my boat yesterday, getting it ready for when the season starts in a couple of weeks. Fitting a new GPS holder, polishing the outboard 'till it sparkles, filling the tank and firing it up (sounds great). Then polishing the hull and fitting the prop back on.

There's only one thing better than all of this and that's zipping along in it. Waiting a couple of weeks is like being a kid with his nose pressed up on a sweet shop window when the shop is closed.

I think it was Ratty from the Wind-in-the-Willows who said "There's nothing finer than messing about in boats" and he's right y'know!!

Cheers.

stamfordian

Visit site
If tinkering with your boat is sad,i must be the saddest person on earth!!!.spent all day yesterday on my back painting anti fouling on my boat when its still on the trailer.... yes i did get it in my eye and now look like a new romantic...red paint!!

suzanne

Visit site
My Dad spent the WHOLE of Saturday servicing the engines, at first I did the female thing and went looking around Brighton for spare parts but by the time it got to 4 ish I was well up for getting dirty. Standing in the engine room, oil all over my hands. I had to juggle the 25ltr thingy of oil coz Dad was not strong enough! It was cool and got me interested in boats again for the first time in months. Am I a saddo too?

Suzanne xXx

mtb

Visit site
Re: Cool

That's what I like to hear a woman who enjoys working on boats and getting dirty too . Years ago when I did training re marine craft fitting two women also did the course and they actualy did a better job than most of the blokes because they wanted to get it right ,the only thing they had to do was to use longer bars or spanners that alowed the use of a tube fitted over the end to get tight nuts undone .
So well done you, and dont forget to use the right hancleaner to get the oil off your hands.
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v/cheep or swap for tug

byron

RIP
Visit site
Red Boards don't stop you, they are for hire boats and rowing clubs. The flow even at its worst is not as bad as some tidal flows. The only thing bigger boats need worry about is reduced heights at bridges. I for one find a good river flow an asset especially when mooring up.

ô¿ô

mtb

Visit site
Re: red boards

Best time on the river, I had a great time with my narrow boat called crystal ,which I got from the old Tom Jones yard at Windsor, before taking it down to Brentford and into the GU canal.
That was a real boat yard which was run as yards should be .
Now look at it hardly any boats and workshops rented out to double glazing firm !!.
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v/cheep or swap for tug

G

I can find you a job doing that every day if you like, and I can pay you, bet crispy did'nt pay a penny did he, suppose it,s your contribution to the running costs of Kwaver then.

Paul js.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Humm, was just following the advice from lock keeper at Temple plus SWMBO wasn't that happy with the idea, we'll go out on Yellows. I also thought that your insurance was invalid if you went out on red's - going against the general advice thing ?

byron

RIP
Visit site
As far as I am aware the insurance thing is a fallacy. Take a tide up and down from Richmond and you will experience far fast rips than you will ever experience on the river. As regards Dave's advice, what can I say, it was well meant I suppose.

ô¿ô

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
He did say that it was the official line, asked what HP I had and said just have an anchor ready if you get into trouble.

Been on the tideway in a friends Birchwood 25 with a smal engine - not much fun but I wouldn't be that bothered in my boat - going to give it a go down to St Cats this year. Might try Easter if not wait till summer.

byron

RIP
Visit site
If you go to St Kats at Easter you will miss the Thames Valley Rally at Henley, I go there 1st then to St Kats... horror of horrors Windsor Bridge in my boat UGH!

ô¿ô

byron

RIP
Visit site
Nope! But at Summer levels I have exactly 1 - 2" or so clearance on Windsor (Eton) bridge, coming downstream is always hairy because one wonders whether there may be an idiot coming upstream that doesn't know the rules.

ô¿ô