S.S.R.

BarryH

Visit site
Now i know i'm not going to get a straight answer from half the people on this forum, so the odds say i will get at least 50% of the information from the other half.
As some of you know, from previous posts, I'm planning to take the boat over to Eire and up the Shannon this year. Now will i need to register the boat and display a SSR number. In the past its been to france and I've never bothered maybe i should have, but that was only channel hopping, not inland. I've phoned the RYA and got the usual "We'll have to phone you back" but to no avail, so thats a waste of £25 already in membership fees. and one last thing, Visitors get the first years registration free from the shannon navigation authority, now theres a lesson the EA could learn, maybe we might see more foriegn boats on the Thames.

Regards Barry

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BarryH on Fri Jan 11 22:34:10 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Hi Barry.

SSR is done by driving licence lot in Swansea. Cant think of the, Ah Driver and vehicle lot.but. The government car licence thingy place. Just ring them and they will sort you out for about a tenner. You need it for France but dont think for any where else.

Mind you its all a bit micky mouse cos it just says sumat like colour of boat and thats it. Mines registered twice but I've never bothered to change the numbers.

Haydn

johndf

Visit site
Re: S.S.R. - France

I'd get the SSR before you go to France again. It cost me a fifty quid fine in 1987 when I didn't have SSR for my 22 footer.

This autumn I was circled by a Douanes cutter. I was then approached from astern and asked by the guy standing on the bow for my 'ship's papers'. I showed him the SSR, which was all that was needed. Passports were not needed, but the SSR was. I wonder how much the fine would be now?

ChrisW

Visit site
Hi Barry,

If you want some sound advice try talking to Davis Smithells at Williams & Smithells in Southampton. ( Ad in Boats & Yachts). He has been running the British Marine Registration Service for years, doing all the registrations for Capital Bank Marine Finance. He also knows the rules of the Med very well, so give him a call.