S/s bolt into cast aluminium body.

Mudisox

Visit site
I have duralac, and realise the problem of dissimilar metal corrosion. Can I just dip the end of the bolt in duralac before threading and tightening the bolt?
It then passes through a rubber mat and grp deck to a large s/s washer and two nuts to affix.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Yes. It's sticky stuff and gets everywhere. White spirit cleans it up. It tends to separate in the tube and you just get brown liquid comes out after it's been sitting a while. Poke a thin screwdriver in the end and stir it around while massaging the tube. The yellow stuff is not good for your health so wear disposable gloves.

ean_p

Visit site
So its not into a casting but through a casting? Is the hole in the casting threaded or plain. If plain is it wide enough to 'sleeve' the bolt? Can it be made wide enough?

NPMR

Visit site
The cast aluminium casing holding the morse throttle lever on our then fairly new Jeanneau had stainless bolts holding it together. The Powder coating flaked off wherever a stainless bolt had come into contact with the aluminium.

It took me three days to get the thing apart as a result of the corrosion.

When I put the recoated unit back together again, I used Duralac everywhere. I also put plastic washers everywhere I could so the new stainless nuts and bolts did not actually touch the aluminium anywhere and drilled the holes out as well, to give space.

Now, a good few years later there is no hint of a return of the problem.

Stainless and aluminium together seems to be a bad idea on a saltwater boat.

dankilb

Visit site
I think you are technically supposed to let it dry - no? (Takes minutes not hours)

Or at least I assumed so because of the mess involved!

Now I use Tef Gel for routine threaded fastener use. Would save the Duralac for something like a SS backing plate, washers, brackets, etc.

Last edited: