Rydlyme reverse flush with pics

Mr Googler

Visit site
I had a bit of temperature creep at WOT over 5 mins. Started heading to early 90s C but the other engine didn’t so time to clean coolers.

The Kad42 has 3 coolers with heat exchanger and oil cooler being a bugger to reach.

Set about coming up with my own pumping system.

Parts need:
5m of 32mm corrugated pipe : UNIVERSAL Bilge Pump Boat Hose Corrugated Flexible Filter Pipe Marine Flexi Tube https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/381699414337
£11.39

Bilge pump : 1100GPH Marine Bilge Pump Submersible Water Pump 12V Electric Yacht Boat BP001 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323601141159
£12.99
Container (free)
A few jubilee clips
30mm diameter (approx) solid plastic pipe (cut up an old hoover handle tube :) ) I used a short section on the end of the corrugated tubing so the jubilees on the engine hoses have something solid to clamp onto

So, connected the bilge pump and 3m of tube to the seawater pipe at the exhaust elbow. Connected the other flexible pipe to the seawater pipe engine side of the strainer. Filled the container with fresh and started the pump to push out seawater into the bilge.

y4mv0fNG1QNLalApSF2lnSNKXgB_8rresIUBsHQ0UsYg59Sgs5uuRr24sK1yyfBCulTN1P5DV5VXykRFJlW5U11EfavHi-i7EHyJTPc6qu7iep5AipEQahR6MQ7IfelxBGmSezQIVyBkicetu21jHOLFJc7ozD0yABiCfQj0Ob_XRj4p1mhYyM6d3Azdmux2gw8SCRZjDnEFrwvL6OA2ZUftQ

y4mTIkukaBUhovC2c4sv34Llpw4a2AjbOP9CJ3RvRz4wTwFbKLkuZBOQt1jUJNzybqDWxB9GrSUKs62Z7yNQxBI6Dma-3t6wVitG6kcR9N-TAReOCnNXDnBK8RGu7VzH_JqjvzcZvP9naHvf4-CAvWOnv4iVzrecFKm6GKFNQY1c1LP2xBxvfbe8RECLmKwrvD-kUGEd5EH2MCst8yhlaeJPQ

Added the rydlyme to the container with as little freshwater as possible given the circulating volume in the engine coolers and the 5m worth of pipe.

y4mN11nEYB-QBYN1mGSx8Eiv-SU6cDV9P_Fb-zS5NMrWGQnHIvkOcjW56-5JiX4L15xeX0ItfRSsaSIB1dmRle7x3pfj6q98FocG5jOklFgEzKxA5zg3smlXEiNOhaSoL9MKIN5b_QaxRpzcReucSEEUY7_XKrREVOFGcjAGn8w_DN-ERYtiYr_2jX3JjnfwVdSPlhY6M25ih8iCRS1JhtlKg

Fizzing away nicely :encouragement:

Circulated for 2 hours and all done as below. I don’t have before pictures as I didn’t plan on taking the exchanger end cap off however, it removed something as once all back to normal, I had a drip! Already had a new O Ring so all fixed now and good opportunity to see what had gone on :)

As it went on I could definitely see the flow rate improve and the bilge pump “note” change.

y4m56nJMsnyHvJJ0y30Tl45rmFWwrNhaTpC2dEno8vNNj4fhAbasEShAlzls3qP2i0bs6jsZ_7G_-k1SR6U_BHUdoS6GJAFRVxMUcD84R_u93mUox4udftrzOmejymTAITIbn1-QrJK6htBx_hGntztvAIcMcyVoEYKfxcPfdeFmUUWsIXIpas-ABFixh_oS8jsJGYbv0qpt6b7LZ83gQXcoA

y4mrCPpD6FPWiBxie7TkRS04vLr_r80YcY_7nrQ4H_SaHGdkROZNSJAInbrPNxvcPXTCGoQmkWKS0qz9Ar8aRV22u2vmeP_f-u-FaEMlrcSm1S1FDbZnttTklhfyg6VtlytUu10MsfZDWuCCUYhQ4JKcS2JWMhaN-kAFkkGhmSx-zkEtcf2JUVvb_yeNoa95tFKlxZTSAEI6QxphFaMq3niPg

Out tomorrow so will see what happens but still.....very worthwhile job done

Bandit

Visit site
Unless they have been recently removed and inspected you should look to remove and inspect the oil coolers this winter for corrosion on the outside at the bottom from bi metallic corrosion with leaks.

BruceK

Visit site
Uncle Paul of this parish is going to grumble at you :p

been there, done that, got grumbled at. So this season I'm going to try the old fashioned way

Beamishken

Visit site
Don't know if your aware but Rydlyme active ingredient is 5-9% hydrochloric acid which can be obtained as brick acid or patio cleaner for a fraction of the cost of rydlyme

Mr Googler

Visit site
Don't know if your aware but Rydlyme active ingredient is 5-9% hydrochloric acid which can be obtained as brick acid or patio cleaner for a fraction of the cost of rydlyme

I tried to get barnacle bust but they won’t deliver to offshore islands for a decent price as it corrosive. Why is rydlyme not classed as corrosive if it’s got the same stuff in it? I don’t have the bottle to use brick acid :)

BruceK

Visit site

Where did you get this nugget of information from as I'd be very interested to see the make up of this solution but they do not publicise it as far as I can tell.

simonfraser

Visit site
To get this clear in my head:

‘So, connected the bilge pump and 3m of tube to the seawater pipe at the exhaust elbow’

The bilge pump is in the white container ?

The exhaust elbow has two cooling water connections, which one did you use on the left or the bottom one ?

Attachments

• exhaust elbow small size.jpg
    exhaust elbow small size.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 6

Mr Googler

Visit site
To get this clear in my head:

‘So, connected the bilge pump and 3m of tube to the seawater pipe at the exhaust elbow’

The bilge pump is in the white container ?

The exhaust elbow has two cooling water connections, which one did you use on the left or the bottom one ?

Yes....bilge pump in the bucket

The left one

Beamishken

Visit site
Where did you get this nugget of information from as I'd be very interested to see the make up of this solution but they do not publicise it as far as I can tell.
Hi if you search for msds or sds sheet for the product it tells you the ingredients, however it isn't totaly straightforward as some countries have more stringent rules than others for what information needs to go on the safety data sheets . Austrailia or new Zealand seem to be the countries with the most data on their sheets.
Rydlyme is also 60% water too
Barnacle buster is Phosphoric acid based which is also cheap and easy to obtain

Mr Googler

Visit site
Well....whatever is in it works a treat! Perfect temps all day on the Costa del Mann :)

I need a dinghy....had to swim over to a big yellow mooring buoy with my phone held in the air and climb on it to take that pic :D:D

y4mxyxVL6k0xzT-E3Gpjc2clyXSBuGcIuJB6C4Sl6QsRD_cGp2BBBe1HEG1fIQEcPIaluGnVmw5YvwBhq_Z7kZ59M9OVEQ96XJqGecfeCuxS2Qa4hDBRfsRLJSdYi9tYnirx8p3HnsewAbL9ZSMFFcoMjOlJF2JA6g5LBeokn4ucadOe25yIBHBSOrQPHb7QJk2Bd9sWIFur5xCjM0iqhQr0A

Last edited:

AndieMac

Visit site
Well....whatever is in it works a treat! Perfect temps all day on the Costa del Mann :)

I need a dinghy....had to swim over to a big yellow mooring buoy with my phone held in the air and climb on it to take that pic :D:D

y4mxyxVL6k0xzT-E3Gpjc2clyXSBuGcIuJB6C4Sl6QsRD_cGp2BBBe1HEG1fIQEcPIaluGnVmw5YvwBhq_Z7kZ59M9OVEQ96XJqGecfeCuxS2Qa4hDBRfsRLJSdYi9tYnirx8p3HnsewAbL9ZSMFFcoMjOlJF2JA6g5LBeokn4ucadOe25yIBHBSOrQPHb7QJk2Bd9sWIFur5xCjM0iqhQr0A

That's true dedication, I'm nervous holding my phone over the side of the boat, let alone get in the water with it!