RYA Day Skipper Theory Exam

ulix

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have prepared for the RYA Day Skipper (theory) assessment, but everything I have seen so far makes me wonder if I'm properly prepared. For example, 1.5 hours for each section (general and planning) seems quite a long time.
Does anyone have any old assessment papers they could share?

Appreciate any help possible,
Thanks!

AllWinds

Visit site
I am guessing the theory paper for the Dayskipper is similarly proportioned time-wise to that of the Yachtmaster. The sections with no calculations can usually be done in a lot less than the time given if you know your stuff. Even if you forget one or two things, answer everything and the questions you were unsure of should make more sense at the end.

I found that the questions involving calculations took more time, but in general if you know what you are doing you should be able to get your answers in well within the time limit.

There are some books out there with questions I believe. I got a book of sample questions for the Yachtmaster exam (RYA Navigation Exercises), perhaps this book and do the questions up to Day Skipper standard.

rotrax

Visit site
I am guessing the theory paper for the Dayskipper is similarly proportioned time-wise to that of the Yachtmaster. The sections with no calculations can usually be done in a lot less than the time given if you know your stuff. Even if you forget one or two things, answer everything and the questions you were unsure of should make more sense at the end.

I found that the questions involving calculations took more time, but in general if you know what you are doing you should be able to get your answers in well within the time limit.

There are some books out there with questions I believe. I got a book of sample questions for the Yachtmaster exam (RYA Navigation Exercises), perhaps this book and do the questions up to Day Skipper standard.
First Mate and I did 'self learning' using the RYA/Adlard Coles 'Yachtmaster' book which contains exercises and, in a different place, the answers.

We then took RYA Practical courses, DS for FM, Coastal Skipper-as was- for me.

Feedback from those taking classroom courses was not good. One chap I know who is a 'Classroom' Yachtmaster is so poor on the water I would worry about going in a Pedlo with him.................................

We got so much from being well prepared from the most excellent RYA Practical courses, we became confident to undertake Channel and Irish Sea crossings not long after. Night sailing too.

Good Luck, enjoy. :) (y)

Stemar

Visit site
I think a lot depends on your attitude to courses. A theory course is great to give a foundation on which to build practical skills, as long as you know that's all it is. I can't help thinking Rotrax's pedalo peril would be a danger to navigation no matter what training he had.

AllWinds

Visit site
First Mate and I did 'self learning' using the RYA/Adlard Coles 'Yachtmaster' book which contains exercises and, in a different place, the answers.

We then took RYA Practical courses, DS for FM, Coastal Skipper-as was- for me.

Feedback from those taking classroom courses was not good. One chap I know who is a 'Classroom' Yachtmaster is so poor on the water I would worry about going in a Pedlo with him.................................

We got so much from being well prepared from the most excellent RYA Practical courses, we became confident to undertake Channel and Irish Sea crossings not long after. Night sailing too.

Good Luck, enjoy. :) (y)
I'd agree with that sentiment. Theory is much easier if you can apply some practical knowledge to it.

But also remember the "Classroom Yachtmaster" is not a Yachtmaster. He's only done the theory and the Yachtmaster is a practical exam. You can't use the theory course for anything and you still need to show evidence of miles (even some as skipper) before you can even go on the preparation week or exam.

Mark-1

Visit site
You can't use the theory course for anything

Someone in a previous thread said a YM theory course gives you a free pass on the ICC-4c - the "Coastal" component of the ICC:

about

I have to say, I can't see where it says that on re-reading.

EDIT: You can, from the FAQs:

An RYA Day Skipper Shorebased or higher Course Completion Certificate can be used to validate the coastal waters category only.

Last edited:

OCuea

Visit site
Can’t help with resources - too long ago, but yacht master theory was a piece of cake so I think you will be fine with day skipper if you give it a reasonable amount of study time.