RYA..but in the USA?

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
There isn't any organization striclty comparable to the RYA here in the USA. There is the American Sailing Ass'n (ASA) which, I think, gives courses; the United Statees Power Squadrons, despite, their name, also give sailing instruction. The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary also teaches seamanship and finally there's a slew of private sailing schools, like the Annapolis School of Sailing. John Rousmanieree ("Fastnet, Force 10" author) wrote their manual.
john (new york)

richardknight

Visit site
Thanks John - much appreciated. One more question for you: what qualifications do US Charter companies look for from US citizens? I guess what I'm getting at is whether one association is more dominant that another/the others?

Thanks,

Richard

davidhand

Visit site
There are two organizations giving sailing qualifications in the US they are.
1)U.S.Sailing Association (www.ussailing.com) who is the governing body of the sport, unlike the RYA they do not represent powerboats.
2)American Sailing Association (www.american-sailing.com) who have been giving qualifications since the early eighties.
Either of these two are about equally well recognised.
The US Power Boat Squadron and the Coast Guard Auxilliary also run courses but they are classroom courses only.
Most of the larger charter companies would probably know of the RYA and accept their quallifications.
Hope this helps.

Viceroy

Visit site
In Canada, in addition to the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron who only give classroom instruction, two bodies grant certification...the Canadian Yachting Association (CYA) and IPSA, the International Power and Sail Association. The courses are similar to RYA with various wrinkles and certification seems to be internationally accepted at the usual levels of competency and experience of the charter applicant. I should mention that the CPSS's do have courses from basic Safe Boating through very intensive advanced and celestial navigation, along with electronics, diesel mechanics, communication and instructors programs. I'm a CPSS instructor and hold a CYA certification for chartering world wide. Cheers, Richard.

alant

Visit site
There is an organisation in US calling itself 'Yachtmaster' I think. They are apparently running RYA look alike courses. Check with RYA - James Stevens for info & if approved.