Major Catastrophe

Visit site
wind11.jpg

So the police are looking for someone swanning around with a match. :cool:

Aries

Live SE London / Kent border, sail out of Gosport
Visit site
Windfarms or a UKBA barrier?

Came across this site by accident yesterday ...

http://www.4coffshore.com/offshorewind/

Made my jaw drop! At the rate their going with offshore wind farms there's gonna be no room for anything else

Bru

Back in January 2010 I commented:

Just a thought. If wind farms are built all around the coast, the UKBA could join them all together with a chain and keep all of us sailors from going abroad, or overseas sailors coming to the UK!

If the amount shown in the above link should be built they will not need the chains!

WestwardBound

Visit site
I just had a look at the RYA site, the chart they show there does not look too bad. It looks as if there is a some usable lattitide heading south cross-tide from Needles channel or Poole/Studland.
I think it's pretty in the way heading up and down channel around the outside of IOW instead of though the Solent. Perhaps, depending on the spacing between the pylons it might be feasible to thread amongst the pylons. It's the cross tide that will be harder to negotiate. Maybe they can be persuaded to leave a corridor.
In any kind of restricted vis or bad weather I would want to give it a miss of more than a mile.
Fortunately judging from the photos posted in this thread the windfarms will be easy to spot by the towering flames and columns of smoke.