Rutland Wind Charger Slow Running

Dutch01527

Visit site
My new boat was fitted with a Rutland 914 wind generator which is only a few years old. When close to other boats with wind chargers, mine seems to turn at about half the speed of the rest. It moves freely when moved by hand.

I know very little about these units. Any suggestions about what the fault might be and how to troubleshoot? I have read the manual but it is of little use.

Last edited:

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I think that the brake may come in when batteries fully charged to prevent overcharging which could explain the slow running. - it's certainly noticeable with ours.
That will depend on which controller is fitted. Probably correct as he says "only a few years old" The old controllers just had a dump resistor.

ash2020

Visit site
I think there is quite a difference between moving freely by hand and absolutely frictionless. Can you blow a blade round? If not, it isn't free enough. It could well be there's a tiny bit of friction in the bearings. You must be reasonably handy, having a boat and they are fairly easy to refurbish and do a bearing renewal. Luckily, as long as you don't buy the Rutland spares, the bearings are cheap. they will have a number stamped on them and you can get them from somewhere like Simply Bearings.
Here's a very good youtube video on dismantling and re-mantling! I need to do mine again this winter.
Good luck.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Thanks. Iwill investigate further. I thought that the 914 did not have a brake, am I wrong?
It depends on the controller The old RWS which was for the 913 just has "Dump" resistor. The more likely controller for a 914 will be the HRDi which has a brake. I believe!

Attachments

• RWS Controller.pdf
    90.1 KB · Views: 2
  • HRDi Manual.pdf
    417.3 KB · Views: 3

jaminb

Visit site
Not being funny - but are you sure it is turned on?

I managed to turn my Rutland off / apply the electronic brake when I changed my batteries. This led me to read the instruction and I learnt you could turn it on and off. I had been tieing it up with a bit of string for 2 years before. The brake doesnt stop it turning completely just at a much slower rate.