Rust on rigging below deck

Visit site
Hi all,

After being laid up in Croatia for the winter season, I returned to my Bav46 (2007) to find that there was rust staining on the rigging below decks. This wasn't like this before we left her so is likely to be an issue caused by moisture build-up over winter.

I could take the easy option and remove the rust with a rust remover but wanted to know people's thoughts and advice. Above deck is fine. The standing rigging is 7 years old.

Many thanks.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Hi all,

After being laid up in Croatia for the winter season, I returned to my Bav46 (2007) to find that there was rust staining on the rigging below decks. This wasn't like this before we left her so is likely to be an issue caused by moisture build-up over winter.

I could take the easy option and remove the rust with a rust remover but wanted to know people's thoughts and advice. Above deck is fine. The standing rigging is 7 years old.

Many thanks.
I doubt very much that moisture has built up unaided during the winter. Where has it come from? I suspect that you have some leaks and suggest you inspect thoroughly. The example shown here Westerly Oceanmaster 48 chainplates is a fairly extreme case but far from unknown.