Rust Killer on Keel

Vamoose

www.flickr.com
Like many others I have a rusty keel.... (Please no use ointment or keep taking the tablets jokes)

I want to put rust killer on the bits I cant get at then overpaint with 2 pot expoxy primer.

I have have rung some of the Rust Killer manufacturers and most say Epoxy will not bond to their product. The only one I can find who will say its definatly OK under Epoxy Primer is Fertan.

Does anyone have any experience of this product?

fastjedi

Visit site
Like many others I have a rusty keel.... (Please no use ointment or keep taking the tablets jokes)

I want to put rust killer on the bits I cant get at then overpaint with 2 pot expoxy primer.

I have have rung some of the Rust Killer manufacturers and most say Epoxy will not bond to their product. The only one I can find who will say its definatly OK under Epoxy Primer is Fertan.

Fertan is what most (all?) professional blasting companies use. It can be appled wet and turns the keel black in a few minutes. It will protect the keel for months without further coating. Mine was done blasted / Fertaned in September + was given 2 coats of Corro-Tech epoxy in October. No sign of any rust showing or peeling so far. It will get 2x epoxy + 4x CopperCoat in April / May.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net

I use Vactan on the rusty spots on my keels. Converts to "black" and then A/F over the top.

Also used on the ship I carry out electrical maintenance on, and they two-pot paint over the Vactan. Never seen any paint being rejected.

Worth contacting them to find out about epoxy coating.

ctva

Visit site
...The only one I can find who will say its definatly OK under Epoxy Primer is Fertan.

I used Fertran on a Sabre keel and bits of a SO keel and it did a great job on both where the coating was VC Tar and Gelshield respectively. No complaints after 6 years.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
> want to put rust killer on the bits I cant get at then overpaint with 2 pot expoxy primer.

The best way to do it is sand the keel or if you can hire one use a pen sized sandblaster (I don't know if they are available in the UK), the yard shouldn't complain. Make sure the surface is has no dust on it. Then apply one coat of zinc rich epoxy, then two coats of epoxy primer. Leave the coats for 24 hours before recoating.

jakeroyd

Visit site
I have cast iron keels , with epoxy tar coating.
This has broken down in some areas now.
I am going for grinding off , then vactan , then International VC2 tar to repair the epoxy , then antifoul.
For the two deepish pits in the keel I have applied epoxy putty.
I will try all this from Thursday onwards , cos the weather will be passable in Plymouth.
My only problem , I think , is that some of this stuff is right at it's minimum working temperature for the next few days but I need to get it done.
I will have to watch my overcoating times.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
I will try all this from Thursday onwards , cos the weather will be passable in Plymouth.
My only problem , I think , is that some of this stuff is right at it's minimum working temperature for the next few days but I need to get it done.
I will have to watch my overcoating times.

So long as you can get a coat (or two) of Vactan on, you should be OK for a few days before finishing.

Tintin

Visit site
Does anyone know if fertan or vactan is available in or near to Falmouth over the counter anywhere?

Sounds like just the thing I need for this weekend.

Elessar

Visit site
Fertan

Two important points with Fertan.

1 the keel must be wet when you apply it.
2 the imperfections it draws to the surface must be thoroughly washed off before you paint or epoxy.

The lack of 2 is a common cause of problems. Fresh water, not a jet wash, and rags or a scrubbing brush. The keel will still be black once scrubbed, but you won't get a sooty deposit on your hand if you rub it once dry.

If it isn't uniformly black once scrubbed, apply more Fertan.

daveyw

Visit site
Does anyone know if fertan or vactan is available in or near to Falmouth over the counter anywhere?

Bosun's Locker, Upton Slip, Church Street, Falmouth 01326 312212

Macsalvors Ltd Yacht Chandlers St. Andrews Rd, Par, Cornwall PL24 2LX
01726 814177|
The Boathouse/Macsalvors Yacht Chandlers Commercial Road Penryn
Cornwall TR10 8AE
01326 377131
Mylor Chandlery & Rigging, Mylor Yacht Harbour, Mylor, Falmouth TR11 5UF
01326 375482 info@mylorchandlery.co.uk www.mylorchandlery.co.uk

Tamar Valley Motoring Centre, Liskeard Road, Callington
01579 383 060

Upper Deck Marine & Outriggers Albert Quay, Fowey, Cornwall PL23 1AN

Tintin

Visit site
Bosun's Locker, Upton Slip, Church Street, Falmouth 01326 312212

Macsalvors Ltd Yacht Chandlers St. Andrews Rd, Par, Cornwall PL24 2LX
01726 814177|
The Boathouse/Macsalvors Yacht Chandlers Commercial Road Penryn
Cornwall TR10 8AE
01326 377131
Mylor Chandlery & Rigging, Mylor Yacht Harbour, Mylor, Falmouth TR11 5UF
01326 375482 info@mylorchandlery.co.uk www.mylorchandlery.co.uk

Tamar Valley Motoring Centre, Liskeard Road, Callington
01579 383 060

Upper Deck Marine & Outriggers Albert Quay, Fowey, Cornwall PL23 1AN

Thanks Dave - I'll pop into Macsalvors at Penryn on my way past

jakeroyd

Visit site
I got my Vactan from Ebay.
Don't get too much , I read on the bottle it only lasts a year.

I've done the keel now , gave the Vactan about 3hrs to cure then put on the epoxy tar (International VC2) this needs a min ambient temp of 5 degrees C and the stuff has to be above about 15 degrees C.

After reading the "Bl**dy Epoxy" post I wondered if the tar was going to cure. Overnight it did , not rock hard but obviously on the way (International say 2-5 days to fully cure)

So I then antifouled over it , we will see how it goes.

My only problem I think is that the epoxy has bonded the wood underneathe the keel when she was blocked up to the keel it'self.
Might take a bit of force to dislodge them !

I will have to just patch this with antifoul when she is lifted to go back in.