running aground

G

Decided to do some mud ploughing near Port Solent took short cut across Tipner ranges strange noises and black mud appeared do you think i have done any expensive damage to props or do they like mud!

G

You twat !! were their any hard metalic sounds or just mud ,because if just mud and you were not going very fast / poped into neutral when bottomed then I dought it is any thing to worry about .
I had a narrow boat ( yes I know not a motor boat is it ) but on the Grand union you constantely either grounded or found shopping trollys to fight with .
The prop which was 16 "" took it all in it's stride and never needed major attention.
I did also do things like the London ring and lower Thames to windsor so it got a fair amount of higher rev usage .
Because the propp's are well protected in the stern swim area I would be more worried about other things like depth sounder and so on
Mick

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Unless you heard unusual noises like stones being thrown at metal then you have probably got away with it. Why not put on a wet suit and have a look, in fact water is now the warmest of the year so don't even need the suit, just mask.

markc

Visit site
I would check your raw water strainers for mud pie and the impellers for damage, but if you get no major vibration I would check the props when it next comes out.

BTW - we've all done it!!!

M

G

Nice, friendly reply.

Mark, what engines/drives do you have? If you've bottomed out aluminium props in mud, you may well have no obvious damage, but may have knocked the pitch out