Rule sump pump lid

Bridgeman

Visit site
Just found a leaky lid on the galley sink Rule sump/pump. Anyone know if this sump lid usually as a seal please? ours as remnants of a black sealant on the rim of sump. We have sealed again with mastic so hopefully ok. Just wondered if they usually have a seal normally or not.
Thanks. Neil

Bandit

Visit site
If its like the shower sump pump, they are designed to leak under the lid, they don't run when you need them to and run when you don't need them to!

They block up the float switch with debris either holding it in the on or off position and overflow.

Bridgeman

Visit site
If its like the shower sump pump, they are designed to leak under the lid, they don't run when you need them to and run when you don't need them to!

They block up the float switch with debris either holding it in the on or off position and overflow.

Cheers Bandit. May have to have a rethink then on sealing. At present working fine but doesnt seem to cope and leaks from rim into bilge.
Brgds
Neil

Bandit

Visit site
With the shower pump after the 50th time I lifted the carpets, removed the cabin sole panel, removed the four screws cleared the single short and curly the was blocking the float switch from not going up of from not going down, wiped out the soap scum and sand, cut back the electrical connections where they had corroded re-joined the wires, replaced the pump etc etc.

I replaced the whole caboodle with a whale gulper pump that pumps water faster than the shower, does not leak, and discharges, sand, soap scum, long female hair and short and curlies the only down side is it sounds like a demented randy male bull frog. but it is 100% reliable with a manual on and off switch.

The Gulpers are actually bilge pumps but I just rigged mine in line with a non return valve.

Don't you have the vertical drop to do away with the sump pump and have a gravity discharge from the sink?

aquapower

Visit site
With the shower pump after the 50th time I lifted the carpets, removed the cabin sole panel, removed the four screws cleared the single short and curly the was blocking the float switch from not going up of from not going down, wiped out the soap scum and sand, cut back the electrical connections where they had corroded re-joined the wires, replaced the pump etc etc.

I replaced the whole caboodle with a whale gulper pump that pumps water faster than the shower, does not leak, and discharges, sand, soap scum, long female hair and short and curlies the only down side is it sounds like a demented randy male bull frog. but it is 100% reliable with a manual on and off switch.

The Gulpers are actually bilge pumps but I just rigged mine in line with a non return valve.

Don't you have the vertical drop to do away with the sump pump and have a gravity discharge from the sink?

The Whale Gulper or the Jabsco equivalent (50880-1000) are both good and both around £100 so not expensive.

Bridgeman

Visit site
Thank you Bandit and Aquapower. Not enough drop for gravity I think. I will have a look this morning. To get into space to remove sump means taking out black tank. You can just with a bit of huffing and puffing and with long arms get the lid off. I think it may be a case of biting the bullet and replacing with a gulper system. Decided to leave the sealant on overnight on lid and see how it goes today. No good long term as you say lid needs removing for cleaning. Thanks again for suggestions.
Brgds. Neil

Bridgeman

Visit site
I have been told by Rule sumps, that it is sometimes a problem when the flow is too quick for the pump to cope, that the box/sump overflows. This seems too be our problem when emptying the sink. They suggest reducing the flow from the sink with a valve or restrictor. We will try this and see how it goes, before removing everything and putting in a gulper.
Neil

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
To get into space to remove sump means taking out black tank. You can just with a bit of huffing and puffing and with long arms get the lid off.

That's untenable. As Bandit says, these things need regular attention to unblock or replace either the float switch or the pump, and/or clean the filter if there's one fitted. They're just about OK if you can access them easily, but no good at all if you can't. You need to move it somewhere that's easily accessible, change to a gulper pump, or if possible fit a gravity discharge.

I suspect it's overflowing because the flow through the pump is restricted by debris, if you haven't been able to get the pump out and clean it.

Bridgeman

Visit site
Hi Nick H. Totally agree with you. We have to wait a couple of months until my son (much slimmer and nimble) is available to help remove it. Just thinking of ways to keep it going until then. Found a false bulkhead panel to get at the shower sumps so that is much easier. To get at galley sink sump you need to lay down across black tank and to remove tank to get it out, or at least a big struggle. She is new to us so just finding our way around.
Thanks for reply.
Neil

Bridgeman

Visit site
Thanks Bandit. We have restricted flow from sink and working fine now. If it keeps working we are happy with slower sink discharge. I think maybe our fault filling sink and expecting the system to cope! You live and learn.
Neil

jrudge

Visit site

Never have I read such an accurate description.

How something so simple can give so much grief I have no idea. If they go wrong I just replace them. I have tried to repair the damn things before and given they are so simple lord only knows why repairs never work !

alt

Visit site
Never have I read such an accurate description.

How something so simple can give so much grief I have no idea. If they go wrong I just replace them. I have tried to repair the damn things before and given they are so simple lord only knows why repairs never work !

I couldn't agree more. I had the same pump / sump set-up, got sick of constantly having to open it up to clear out, so I did the below....

This is exactly what I did for my shower. I haven't had to open up that section of the saloon floor since I fitted it (whereas previously it was a weekly task). OK, so it's not automatic, (I turn on the pump and let it run while showering, as it doesn't dry out) but a very small inconvenience for peace of mind.

jfm

Visit site
With the gulper pump instead of the sump, what are you using to turn the gulper pump on and off? Not a manual switch in the bathroom, surely?

alt

Visit site
With the gulper pump instead of the sump, what are you using to turn the gulper pump on and off? Not a manual switch in the bathroom, surely?

Circuit breaker (for the whole boat) is opposite the heads. Flick up the trip when you go in for a shower, knock it down when you're finished.

It's a compromise, but one i'm happy with to not have to clear out the sump every weekend.

Takes a whole 10 seconds to show any guests.

alt

Visit site
Circuit breakers (for the whole boat) is opposite the heads. Flick up the trip when you go in for a shower, knock it down when you're finished.

It's a compromise, but one i'm happy with to not have to clear out the sump every weekend.

Takes a whole 10 seconds to show any guests.

nw04jen

Visit site
Just wondering as a follow up on this - does anyone have a way to make the hose connections watertight - mine weep despite jubilee clips - have 3 'ins' and 1 'out' - and almost impossible to keep watertight on the inlets - shower / sink and aircon all go into sump box ?
i am considering shower and sink into ic manifold gulper and aircon into sump box but still would like a watertight system of attaching hose with something other than just jubilee clips
tia

jrudge

Visit site
You must have over tightened and cracked the stubs on the box or a pipe has a crack in it under the clip.

The water is not under any particular pressure so the jubilee clip will hold it fine.

Vaseline is a good general sealant for rubber seals etc so try it but I have not known a hose and clip ever leak