Rudder Problems!

emandvee44

Visit site
The rust stains have only appeared very recently after some very heavy rain. The only disturbance to the rudder has been recent removal of anti-foul and then a light rub down with an electric sander.
Any advice re probable cause and what to do would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Michael.

Last edited:

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Waterlogged rudders are far from unknown. If you have one, and there's iron in the blade that MIGHT be a cause.

Try drilling two small holes (one above the other) near the tip of the blade, and see whether water drains. If dry, you can always fill the holes with waterproof epoxy. If wet, consult further!

emandvee44

Visit site
Rudder problems

Thanks for that Ken,

We will go with drilling the holes and see what happens Have a few weeks more to sort it out. Also the rudder is coming off as the contractor for the coppercoat job said it is necessary. Perhaps we can then investigate further.

Cheers,

Michael.

Tranona

Visit site
It may not be rust as I don't think there is any steel in the rudder. The stock, if it is like the smaller Bavarias is aliminium. Suspect the brown staining is from the foam core, which suggests that water has got in, probably because of a crack in the area of the staining.

emandvee44

Visit site
Rudder problems

The rudder stock appears to be stainless. The attached image was taken for another purpose and so I was not looking specifically at the rudder stock.
AFAIK a common method of construction for rudders is to have webs welded to the stock to form the 'skeleton' to hang the foam and grp on. I hope it is all stainless and indeed it is the foam causing the stains.
As the rudder is definitely coming off I will investigate further then - drilling holes is a good idea to start with.

Cheers,

Michael.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, the normal construction is webs welded to the stock. Highly unlikely they have used mild steel for the webs (but not unknown in some older boats - I have seen some horrors!)The rudder is two mouldings, bonded together and foam injected. The location of your staining suggests that there is a crack in the moulding which is letting water in and staining out. The other potential entry point is where the stock goes in at the top. I suspect that the tip has hit something and cracked the moulding - it only needs to be a hairline crack.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
I have repaired rudders that looked just this, it turned out to be the tangs welded to the rudder stock, though all stainless steel, they were not pickled after welding, this means the stainless will rust.

Not many if any of the major manufacturers build their own rudders, it's done by contract to other companies.

Good luck, keep us informed of your findings.

eagleswing

Visit site
rudder breakdown.. tests

i sounds strange but--- see if the rust colored stuff tastes like vinegar or acetone. if it does that suggests the foam inside the rudder has deteriorated. a plain old rusty taste suggests that metal is degrading perhaps at the top rudder post or bearing. my old foam rudder had a rust colored weep at its bottom and aft seam for 2 years (the drips had a vinegary taste) instead of a new rudder for $$$$, it was cured by drilling holes in the bottom of the rudder, letting the rudder dry out for 6 months then patching the rudder. ( we knew from the mfgr that there were stainless steel fingers inside supporting the foam blank, so we knew stains were not from the supporting metal rudderstock, tube or fingers.....