Rudder bushes - where from?

GilesC

Visit site
Can someone help, please?
I need to replace the bushes on my ageing Gibsea's rudder, and now the current owners of Gibsea won't supply them, I'm going to have to get some made. I have no idea where to get them from so can anyone advise? As I live in Kent, somewhere in Kent, Sussex or Essex would suit.

Thanks

Giles

G

Take the measurements carefully then take to a machine shop ,they can easily make a bronze bush very quickly .
failing that T Norris Isleworth west London 02085603453
they will do it by post .
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
looking for an ex trawler if you see one !!

G

Just found your message!!

What gibsea do you have?
I have just started looking, have you had any luck? My old bushes are nylon/esotel material.

Please could you contact me if you have had any luck

Regards

Patrick Tatham

GilesC

Visit site
Finally got around to replying!

I've got a 20 yr old gibsea 28 which is looking a little worse for wear, but generally holding up alright. I didn't get much useful advice, except from the boatyard where I keep the boat in winter. They suggested trying a boat jumble - as there's invariably someone selling that sort of stuff. Now, I'm one step further on. I met Philip Muller selling pespex and other bits of plastic, and he identified the top bearing as Tufnol, the lower as acetal. He had suitable bits of both, which cost a bit less than a tenner - and the guy at the boatyard has offered to cut them to size on his lathe. I haven't got that far yet, as the rudder's still in a bedroom at home, drying out and waiting to be re-coated with something (don't yet know what!), but I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested!

If you want to get hold of Philip Muller, I've got his details, and his card has a phone number 02380 260296 if you haven't already found another solution. I'd be interested to hear how you're getting on.

Good luck!

Giles