Rubbing Strake Replacement

Avocet

Visit site
I'm contemplating replacing the rubbing strakes on my boat this winter. Can anyone recommend a source of Teak / Iroko or anything else commonly used? It's a pretty standard angle section 1.5" by 1.25" by 0.5" or 38 x 32 x 13mm in new money. I guess nobody will do me two 9 metre lengths so any advice on joining would be appreciated. Also, any advice on bending round the hull would be most welcome. It's not a beamy boat so I was wondering whether I could do it "cold". I guess the tightest radius would be about 14 metres (yards?!). The longer leg (38mm) is the vertical one so it's only the shorter one that would really get bent.

All advice gratefully received!

Strathglass

Visit site
Ian the wood will bend very easily. At any joins use at least a 7/1 scarf that will give you enough strength. I am looking for iroko myself in the north of Scotland

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
Health and Safety!

If you haven't worked with Iroko before, then a few words of caution. Your tools must be kept very sharp otherwise you can tear the wood. Wear a dust mask if sawing or sanding because the dust is particularly harmful.

Avocet

Visit site
Thanks All!

I'm indebted to all of you. I've had an e-mail from Howells and their quote is the best so far - by a long way!