RTI race report - the ups and downs of yachting

G

My RTI race didn't have the best of starts. We arrived at Keyhaven to discover that out 3.4m Zodiac Fastroller dingy had been stolen from West Solent Boatbuilders boatyard. It bears the name 'Gipsy Joyce' and has a distinctive oblong rust stain on the sole. If you are offered this please contact me. There is a reward offered.

We were then stuck with no way of getting to our swinging mooring. Luckily, a someone who we had never met before offered us his dingy for the weekend. The race was saved.

Then we run out of diesel 30 mins before the start gun. We had a good race in splendid race conditions. We were then faced with a 11 mile beat in light airs and foul tide back to Keyhaven. Luckily, a friend had come to meet us at the finish line and happened to have 5 gallons of diesel to hand. A quick motor to Keyhaven and we still managed to get to the restaurant for 9pm for the victory meal.

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

G

Chris,

Sorry to hear of the theft but I'm glad you had a good race. We had a great time getting out past the Needles and the flight (we seemed to spend quite a bit of time in the air) along past St. Catherines was very, very exciting...well almost anything is in a 27 year old Centaur! For each of the past three years I have been becalmed, or almost so, within five or six miles of the finish- it would be nice not to be disadvantaged each time by both tide and lighter evening airs, if only so that we can get to the pub before closing!!! See you there next year no doubt.

Tom (SEVENEM 614 O/A)

G

I'll be there! 22nd June next year, make sure that you've got your light airs sails!

tomg

Visit site
Spectator sports?

Perhaps the problem is that all the sports mentioned (Horses, Cars, Football, Tennis etc) are easily accesible spectator sports. Although some cost a small fortune to watch (Silverstone for example) you can watch most of the action for most of the time. Our sport is difficult to 'spectate' and is comparatively slow. You have to be close to appreciate how exciting it is - and that means being on the water to view in person.Not easy for the average punter. And not many crashes/leg-breaking fouls/tennis- tantrums/unseatings which the other sports use to liven up the proceedings. On the other hand, if all this is true why is yachting so very much more popular in France?

G

Re: Spectator sports?

I was wondering!

bedouin

Visit site
Me too.

I've already started making plans to eradicate the weather-helm which plagued us on Saturday (perhaps I should have put a reef in...), and am hoping for more of the same next year to see if we can do better.

OTOH I have a brand new set of light-air sails I was longing to try but didn't get the chance.

BTW I see in the results booklet that we don't have to wait until next year to do it again - we could go round the other way 2 up on 14th July.

G

Yup you are right, but not with 1700 other boats.

Good fun though 2-up, the RSYC do a 2-handed series which seems to be increasing in popularity each year.

Good luck