RPM sensor and display fitted

Refueler

Visit site
Some time ago - I posted about a Tacho system that looked intriguing.

Alternator Sensor :

Diesel Engine RPM Tacho Sensor UNIVERSAL For Vehicle Truck Boat Yacht Waterpoof | eBay

e3a17d3b-629d-4b29-b433-0b1160c1dcc8.jpeg

The sensor is basically zip-tied to alternator case and it pulses based on rotation of the stator ..

52mm Car Marine Tachometer 0-4000RPM Diesel Engine Tacho Gauge With Hour Meter | eBay

9fdf987a-3746-4468-8fad-88094cb3e08a.jpg

My engine is a Perkins 4-107 and the mechanical drive tacho outer sleeve to cable is there - but the inner is missing and no mechanical display. I considered obtaining new drive cable / fittings and a display - but when I saw the above and saw youtube video ... it was obviously cheaper and better.

The Display needs just a smidgeon less than 52mm hole to fit .. wiring is simple and calibration simply by shorting a white wire to enable pulse detection on the display. The sensor is similarly setup if needed by a white wire shorted and held to scroll through the pulse settings.

I thought I would just install and see what factory gave ... idle appeared to be ok at about 500rpm ... but on increasing throttle it quickly rose to 3000+ at half throttle ... so I elected to calibrate display .... shorted the white wire .. started engine, throttle at estimated 1000rpm .... disconnect white wire etc.

Now idle still about 450 - 500rpm ... full throttle (no load) put needle to the max of 4000rpm ....

It appears that I may need to calibrate sensor and then display again. Next time I will remember to take my LED Tacho to set engine exactly 1000rpm !!

BUT ... the 4-107 is stated to 4000rpm ... possible that my reading is real ...

Recc'd ? Yes certainly .... far more convenient to mount where you want instead of the cable driven mechanical ...

penfold

Visit site
We fitted one of these, but the effect is the same; we calibrated it with one of those cheap laser tachometers, a square of the supplied reflective tape on the flywheel worked very well indeed.

Refueler

Visit site
Just spent an hour playing with it ... instructions say White wire touch neg for 3 secs and then its in setting mode ... etc.

I set the sensor and then display showed about 200rpm when engine was LED Tach'd at 1000rpm.

I could not get display to adjust up or down as per instructions ... I redid the wiring ... and still no change.

Finally I added a length of wire to each .. white and negative so I could sit in cockpit better and observe display.

Purely by accident I found that instructions had missed out a few words ! Not unusual when Chinese translated.

Started engine ... touch white to neg for 3 seconds ... then touch again and HOLD it there ... nothing happens for ages then needle starts moving up .... but soon starts to shoot up ... so its hold - get needle start going up ... before it gets too fast and shoots past actual rpm point disconnect and quickly touch again - which starts it going down - discon and touch again - so its back to slow increase ... repeat doing it in stages till correct rpm shown.

I ended up with :

Display (idle) 600 LED Hand tacho 620
Display (1000 rpm) LED Hand tacho 1030

I did open to full and display showed ~3800 ... but I did not hand tacho ... as it means climbing in over open engine box to tacho the crankshaft pulley.

Some may wish to play more and get more accurate - but for me - its good enough - the display is in 100 rpm steps ... so its basically a guide rather than exact tool.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Review after having used for reasonable period ...

I wish I had fitted one earlier. It has proved reliable and sufficiently accurate enough when compared to LED strobe tacho.

In fact I plan to fit one to my new addition to the fleet ... which has a 2GM23 ... but would like a square black display surround to match the existing .... hard to find. Solution may be to 3D print a surround and set the round display in.

Other threads that may be of interest