Routing

Fascadale

Visit site
What route do peeps plan to sail on the way there, and on the way back.

I have recently read “Atlantic Venture” the story of the 1968 OSTAR by John Groser. Interestingly 4 less than 30ft boats, including Jester, completed that race.

The book describes five routes.

The northern route, as taken by Hasler in 1960 and 1964, where you try to pick up easterlies to the north of the west going depressions, but have to face a higher likelihood of ice and fog.

The great circle route, shortest but most likelihood of headwinds, foul currents, some fog and perhaps some ice, route taken by Chicchester in 1960 and Taberly in 1964.

The rhumb line route, longer and still with headwinds and poor current.

The Azores route, alot further, more favourable winds, less counter current but chance of little wind.

The trade wind route, very much further but the route taken by Jester on a 5 day crossing in 1968.

Most of the boats that crossed in 1968 chose a course close to the rhumb line, one went through the Azores, and Jester went far to the south

So which way do you plan to go, given that this is a challenge and not a race?

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
The unequivocal advice given to me on very good authority is the Azores route for a small boat. Aim for Flores, go on down to 38N, turn west due until just south of RI, then turn north, hitting the Gulf Stream roughly at right angles. If you look at tis route on a gnomic chart it looks very sensible. Hasler took Jester on the northern route but he was no ordinary mortal. He also did it in 38 days.

nicholas49

Visit site
routing

My plan is to go the Azores route pretty much as described by Nicki, hoping to get there in time to leave by 10 july latest.If I bottle out at the Azores, at least I can sit under a palm tree drinking beer for a week.More seriously, I don't feel my boat is especially strong so I don't want to give her a pounding, also she is fairly quick in light airs.
Best Wishes, Nick

Ceirwan

Visit site
I guess It depends on what you want.
I know that technically its not a race, but I certainly think there must be a degree of competition, In which case I shall be taking the great circle route unless circumstance says otherwise.

If we were going to the Caribbean or I was cruising and stopping off at places etc then I'd take the trade winds route.

jesterchallenger

Visit site
I'm going North. Unless I get headed, in which case I'll tack and head southwards. Or maybe even the rhumb line. On the other hand, if the fridge packs up, North is good because it'll keep the beer cold and the butter hard. But then, I could put up with warm beer going South if it means warm balmy breezes, T shirts and shorts. And the red wine would be the right temperature, come to thinkl of it. I'd quite like to keep South of the ice gate (40N/50W or was it 50N/40W), but it'd be pretty cool (literally!) to sight an iceberg - I could yarn with Roger on equal terms then. And my yacht club tales would be taller than anyone else's. But then again, I'm really a warm weather sailor. What's certain is that any passage plan I have ever made goes out the porthole about an hour after leaving. So that's it. I'm going North - or South - depending on what the wind's doing.

On the return trip I fancy a quick pit stop in Bermuda - I've already sailed past once without stopping and it's not often I'm in the vicinity. Depends on the wind really. I am definitely stopping at Faial as I have friends who live there and Falmouth because I have never been there. But then again, it all depends.