Round the Island Race finishing line.

andy_wilson

Visit site
I realise it's a bit early in the week but given the current forecast is placing the centre of the low over the IOW on Saturday lunch time, where should the finishing line be.

Bembridge?

St. Catherines?

The Bridge?

G

Today's forecast is S3, so we might be more than drifting. We've rather foolishly booked a restaurant for 8:30 for our celebration meal. Better take the mobile to canx, methinks.

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

bedouin

Visit site
But if you look at the predicted charts it shows a low likely to pass near or over IoW sometime on Saturday. While it may be S F3 during the morning it seems it could be light and variable during the afternoon, and maybe NE by the time we finish.

I think it is too early to make an accurate prediction of finishing time, but I think there is a realistic chance that we will not reach Cowes by the 22:00 cut off.

G

Yes, the weather forecasts are quite interesting at the moment with the Met saying 3-5 somewhere between E and NNE with the sailing online forecast giving S3. We are already packing stores for a two week trip if the low is one place and the oilies if it is somewhere else.

bedouin

Visit site
Curiously, the online weather sailing forecast for the Solent still gives S F3 for Saturday, whereas their forecast for Portsmouth for the same day is F2 variable. I fear the latter will be more accurate.

I've decided that if it is after 4pm when we get to Yarmouth, then we'll stop there.

G

Have faith, Beduoin. Metweb is giving 3s and 4s, online still on 3s. There's certainly enough wind down here at the moment to make life interesting. See you on the start.

bedouin

Visit site
RTIR

I think you will be starting some time before us - 'Bedouin of Cove' is in ISC Group C, with a TCC of 0.921 (=09:00 start). I remember noticing Rival Spirit in the list of starters, but can't remember what time.

I have just seen that "Velsheda" will be also be racing. Assuming that she starts at 10:00 we should have a wonderful view as she flashes past (probably somewhere near the Needles).