Round The Island Race 2016 - Sat 2 July

horatio_nelson

Visit site
Had a great day on Ellida, did it in 9hrs 22min (adj time 8:49) for 209th overall.

Some really exhilarating sailing, especially round the back of the island, 40kt gusts and 3m waves! Tacking up to the finish against the tide was a bit excruciating though but we made it safe and well. I had a fantastic day, we really enjoyed it.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Firstly no I have absolutely no affiliation with the RNLI.

Secondly would you like to point out where you feel I was clarifying the first time? I've re-read the thread and not seeing it so can't work out where I was clarifying that apparently wasn't needed.

Thirdly - I absolutely defend my right to clarify. Your choice of words came across ambiguously to me despite me having heard the conversation on VHF. It seemed likely to me that some readers would interpret your choice of words as sarcastic and meaning - "was it really necessary to ask which Milford the boat was at". It was pretty obvious to everyone hearing it that he probably meant Milford on Sea not Milford Haven. There is a LOT of CG bashing goes on round these parts. It seemed to me that your choice of words could be interpreted by those who like to CG bash that they were wasting time clarifying information that if they had been the old Lee on Solent Guys would have been "obvious". That was not the case - she clearly knew he was at Milford on Sea - and she helped him realise his error very easily without needing to go back and read the chart.

So what's your problem? I added what I felt was necessary to make the thread more meaningful to others. Why pick an arguement over it?

:encouragement:

Visit site
So what's your problem? I added what I felt was necessary to make the thread more meaningful to others. Why pick an arguement over it?
Post 42 I said

The RNLI seems to have their Solent fleet of lifeboats positioned ready for action hence the prompt interventions.

Post 44 Oldharry

sounded as though every LB in the area was out.

Post 45 You

All part of a pre-planned deployment so they are crewed on the water at strategic locations. Its the 4th biggest mass participation sporting event in the UK after London Marathon and 2 Great Runs. You wouldn't expect London Marathon to be covered by London Ambulance Service just deploying vehicles as normal. You'd find on Marathon Day they are a touch busy too! But today has been particularly busy as its a bit breezy out there.

Analysis

Why restate with an air of arrogance what we have already deduced and say it with a tone that we are too stupid to comprehend by talking down to us using the London Marathon analogy.

We are leaving the EU due to people of your ilk.

As to post 47, I was quoting Mady's complimentary comment on the Solent CG lady. "Mentioned in dispatches" typically refers to noteworthy heroic actions. Which I reinforced by observing that even when extremely busy she maintained a dry sense of humour having assumed the boat was not calling for help from Milford Haven in West Wales.

Poey50

Visit site
There may be people who enjoy other peoples' tedious and drawn-out squabbling but I'm not one of them. I've not been on this forum for long and mostly it is a brilliant source of information but there are surprising number of threads that turn out this way. Are there no moderators who close these down or perhaps move a downward spiralling thread into into a separate folder for those who love misery.

BTW this is not an invitation to start another squabble. I've nowt more to say.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
The RNLI seems to have their Solent fleet of lifeboats positioned ready for action hence the prompt interventions.

sounded as though every LB in the area was out.
Err... both of those sound as though you and the other poster didn't know. So I provided what I believe was a valid additional piece of information for clarity. You are the only person who seems to have taken issue with what I posted.

I felt the air of the posts was as though people were in someway sounding surprised that there was so much resource - perhaps in a critical way, so chose to make the Marathon comparison.

We are leaving the EU due to people of your ilk.
Pretty sure the UK is not leaving the UK due to anything to do with me. You aren't exactly helping your case for posting rational, evidence based posts on here by posting random nonsense like that. You don't know who I am, what nationality I am, where I'm based, what political bent I have or don't have. And even ignoring all of that I can't see what relationship there is between someone posting a piece of information on a forum, which may or may not have been repetition of the information you intended to post and the democratic decision of a country to leave the EU.

As to post 47, I was quoting Mady's complimentary comment on the Solent CG lady. "Mentioned in dispatches" typically refers to noteworthy heroic actions. Which I reinforced by observing that even when extremely busy she maintained a dry sense of humour having assumed the boat was not calling for help from Milford Haven in West Wales.
But you didn't - instead you actually said... you " liked the way she asked a boat in trouble if they were calling Solent CG from West Wales or from a Hampshire location with vaguely similar name" - you made no reference to dry sense of humour.

I was not convinced you weren't being sarcastic, and I certainly wasn't convinced that the CG bashers on the forum wouldn't take it as food to feed their criticism.

So before you go spouting about people trying to clarify postings - you might want to re-read what you wrote and work out if perhaps you didn't post in a sufficiently clear way. But what I really don't get is what your problem is. If I was in the sailing club bar and effectively backed up either what you said or meant to say - would you have gone down my throat like you have here? If you would - you'd be kicked out my sailing club bar before you'd got to the bottom of your warm pint.

Visit site
And even ignoring all of that I can't see what relationship there is between someone posting a piece of information on a forum, which may or may not have been repetition of the information you intended to post and the democratic decision of a country to leave the EU.
Is has been widely reported that a significant motivator behind the EU leave outcome was the little people reacting against being talked down to by the Elite. I have observed your pedestrian attempts to articulate the Establishment viewpoint across your postings in this forum.

Your laughable attempts to dissect my posts and intent are now noted and I shall make allowances in future.

laika

Visit site
the little people reacting against being talked down to by the Elite.

You know what? I've looked at my spreadsheet of RTI results and there's no "elite" in the results. There's a Little Dart, a Little Wing and a Little Spirit but no Little People. So maybe you've posted in the wrong forum? I refer you here:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-The-Lounge

FWIW this was my first RTI and have to say it was a complete blast. Not sure I'd want to do it in my boat but in my friend's small but-ace-upwind boat it was fantastic.

PhillM

Visit site
You know what? I've looked at my spreadsheet of RTI results and there's no "elite" in the results. There's a Little Dart, a Little Wing and a Little Spirit but no Little People. So maybe you've posted in the wrong forum? I refer you here:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-The-Lounge

FWIW this was my first RTI and have to say it was a complete blast. Not sure I'd want to do it in my boat but in my friend's small but-ace-upwind boat it was fantastic.

I bottle this year. Last year with a competent crew including a Brazilian Olympic contestant, I was more than happy to take my little old mab round. This year with no time to train up a single 15 year old crew, I took the decision to retire before the start. I have nothing but respect for those that started. Skippers decision and I suggest one based on crew capability as well as conditions.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
jonjo5 You really are a buffoon! I'm not sure the "Establishment" has an opinion on the RTI and its Lifeboat cover. If they have they seem to have forgotten to send me the memo.

I humbly suggest you are just as guilty of talking down to people as me by starting this ridiculous argument. If the public were stupid enough to vote based on my forum rantings, I'd expect they'd be even more likely to vote to shut up pompous prats like yourself.

Can we get back on track with the discussion?

Visit site
jonjo5 You really are a buffoon! I'm not sure the "Establishment" has an opinion on the RTI and its Lifeboat cover. If they have they seem to have forgotten to send me the memo.
Which is a deliberate misinterpretation of what I said, I referred to your posting style across the forum.

I humbly suggest you are just as guilty of talking down to people as me by starting this ridiculous argument.
I simply asked what prompted you to tell people what they already knew as if they were confused and need clarification.

Can we get back on track with the discussion?
I doubt it because you obviously do not handle criticism well and have a get the last word in compulsion.

Hayling

Visit site
Girls!
Girls!
Back to the subject in hand,
We started at 09.40 and retired at about 11.40, just short of Hurst, by then the wind was 30kts over the deck and reports were coming in of 40+ and 2-3m swell around the back of the Island so I took a look at my amateur crew, one of whom, in his sixties and dressed for 'boating' in brogues and pringle had already found himself spread eagled on the coachroof during a tack like a giant, yellow curduroy starfish and explained that now was the point of no return and took a vote, leave or remain, 6/1 leave so we motored back to the Folly for lunch and then strutted around Cowes as if we were old salts!

I only do this sailing lark for fun, love racing but not bothered by winning, it is only a game, and when it stops being fun prefer to sit under a tree, with a beer!

Visit site
explained that now was the point of no return and took a vote, leave or remain, 6/1 leave so we motored back to the Folly for lunch and then strutted around Cowes as if we were old salts!
I like it instant democracy afloat. Shame a recent national referendum was not so decisive (either way).

Resolution

Visit site
Girls!
Girls!
Back to the subject in hand,
We started at 09.40 and retired at about 11.40, just short of Hurst, by then the wind was 30kts over the deck and reports were coming in of 40+ and 2-3m swell around the back of the Island so I took a look at my amateur crew, one of whom, in his sixties and dressed for 'boating' in brogues and pringle had already found himself spread eagled on the coachroof during a tack like a giant, yellow curduroy starfish and explained that now was the point of no return and took a vote, leave or remain, 6/1 leave so we motored back to the Folly for lunch and then strutted around Cowes as if we were old salts!

I only do this sailing lark for fun, love racing but not bothered by winning, it is only a game, and when it stops being fun prefer to sit under a tree, with a beer!

Hayling
Your account almost precisely replicates what I could have written about my last RTIR three or four years ago. Except that we "voted" a bit earlier! Like you, my crew included some of my age, but not in brogues, and thankfully a couple of youngsters for muscle. However I was noticing that each tack took longer for the old guard to get across safely and I seriously doubted that we could safely race down the back side of the island. My first question was "Is everyone having fun?" No response. Second question "Is anyone having fun?" Feeble muttering. Third question "Who would prefer to have lunch in Yarmouth?" Immediate brightness all round, majority vote in favour. Dropped the race flag, informed Castle One of our retirement and turned back. Surfed back under white sails, 13 knots top speed recorded.
Very sad as it was my only retirement in many years of RTIR, but sometimes one has to leave it to the youngsters.
Peter

LOH

Visit site
So how did everyone do?

We (myself and three rookie crew members on lady of Hamford) managed 5th in the Classic Class.
It took 8hrs 22 mins to go round (8:11.16 corrected)

For what ever reason we don't appear on the ISC list even though they gave us a rating.
However based on the excel spreadsheet we were 73rd out of the 820 ISC boats.
So the old girl did pretty well.

Here we are at Hazlar the night before.
loh_rti.jpg

"greetings Javelin, as one of the rookie crew and owner of lady of hamford it was with fear and trepidation that I allowed you to take control of my recently refitted lady.

On reflection (not at the time) I had my best ever sail and saw my boat destroy many newer and faster (so they thought) boats. Having endured many months of bull... from you, you proved your seamanship skills (need to work on the social ones) and I look forward to our next sail" Thank you!

Can I say this on a forum?