Round Britain in a Wayfarer

Clarky

Visit site
And, as such a perfectionist, presumably he left Rockall to Port

Its not about me,I haven't claimed anything, its about the fact that claiming to have sailed around a country and in fact not having done so and missed about two or three hundred miles off is a very false claim. Particularly when its arguably the hardest part which you have missed.
It's *******s!

D

DogWatch

Not sure if this has been posted, but a young guy has set off from Cowes to circumnavigate Britain in a 16ft Wayfarer dinghy... bet he's cursing this weather:( after 3 days he's made it to Lymington.

I seem to remember a lady trying this a year or two ago in a dinghy?

http://www.loveludo.com/#

I sailed around Anglesey last su sum last erm, last year....

Should I start a justgiving page?

Is it possible to do something nowadays just for the sake of doing it, rather then pi5sing off everyone you know trying to tap them for money to justify your own guilt about wanting to go on a sailing holiday?

Last edited:

Puffin_Billy

Visit site
I don't know about anybody elses thoughts, but the schedule on the website seems optimistic to say the least...

Several plans for consecutive days covering 30, 40 even 50 miles a day. And only one day every 8 allows for bad weather catch up.

To mind that's unrealistic. Those distances would be OK with perfect conditions and fully rested and prepared crew and boat, but what about wind on the nose, no wind, too much wind, non-trivial repairs, fatigue, illness?

I really hope he has a good experience and achieves his goals, but I think his planning is a bit hopeful.

aBod

Visit site
I don't know about anybody elses thoughts, but the schedule on the website seems optimistic to say the least...

Several plans for consecutive days covering 30, 40 even 50 miles a day. And only one day every 8 allows for bad weather catch up.

To mind that's unrealistic. Those distances would be OK with perfect conditions and fully rested and prepared crew and boat, but what about wind on the nose, no wind, too much wind, non-trivial repairs, fatigue, illness?

I really hope he has a good experience and achieves his goals, but I think his planning is a bit hopeful.

Totally agree, but to do this trip you have to optimistic! He will struggle and have to dig deep. I did my trip in 2 months, I had to do some passages of 100 miles (portpatrick to Holyhead) then from Milford Haven to St Ives, after 3 hours sleep St Ives to falmouth. For me and many people doing round britain is partly a test to see how far you can push your body as well as test your sailing abilities, a chance to meet amazing people and explore the UK.

Ludos test is going to be not having an engine if the wind dies suddenly, but he'll take a crew so they'll have no problem with longer passages.

He seems to be doing well and again good luck!

Franny

Visit site
Around the UK in a wayfarer

So I've been registered on here for a little while but have never posted, but funnily enough this one caught my eye and I thought I'd contribute....

As Dan (hi Dan) says, I did sail round the UK from Waldringfield to Waldringfield back in 2010. I did miss out the top, because I didn't really fancy it, and as mentioned somewhere above, there aren't many places to seek shelter, and if stormbound for a few days (or a week as I was in Peterhead) then its just too remote. For me.

But I had a fantastic trip, with everything you'd expect and more - dolphins, seals, adventures in places like Seil Sound and whirlpools in places like Ramsey Sound.... And the canals were great fun, but then great to get back onto the open sea too.....

I don't really mind whether Clarky thinks I have or haven't sailed round the UK. I had a lovely little time. My trip was entirely self funded, and I did raise a few quid for charity as it was a good opportunity to do so. I definitely didn't hound people, but I blogged every day without fail, and people seemed to enjoy the blog and want to contribute. So that seemed ok too.

I have met up with Ludo, and he seems well planned. It was a little while ago and at the time he was in two minds about an engine. I can't see from his website whether he has taken one or not.

I had no qualms about using mine, when the wind dropped off, in small harbours etc, it was my trip with my friends with no rules other than to be safe and enjoy the trip. I wouldn't want to do the trip without one as I viewed it as my main safety equipment.

I did have a website, which is no longer running, but as someone mentioned earlier if anyone is interested to read about sailing round the UK in a small dinghy, then I have got my blog, in full, on e-mail and am very relaxed about sharing it....

For the other person that asked - he's in a Hartleys new Mark IV, the same as the one that I used (but not the same one).

Hey ho - good luck to Ludo - he has got some long legs in there. Very early on, he'll get a good idea of what's achievable with the equipment he's got....

alant

Visit site
Totally agree, but to do this trip you have to optimistic! He will struggle and have to dig deep. I did my trip in 2 months, I had to do some passages of 100 miles (portpatrick to Holyhead) then from Milford Haven to St Ives, after 3 hours sleep St Ives to falmouth. For me and many people doing round britain is partly a test to see how far you can push your body as well as test your sailing abilities, a chance to meet amazing people and explore the UK.

Ludos test is going to be not having an engine if the wind dies suddenly, but he'll take a crew so they'll have no problem with longer passages.

He seems to be doing well and again good luck!

"Ludos test is going to be not having an engine if the wind dies suddenly, but he'll take a crew so they'll have no problem with longer passages."

What, with all those wind farms around our coasts!

Surely not!

You'll next be telling us they are an expensive useless white elephant!:eek:

tom_sail

Visit site
I think your all being a tad harsh.

There should be support for a young adult doing something like this. A good majority of under 21s are smoking weed, on the dole or drinking their livers to a shrivelling mess. In my experience the private schooled hooray Henrys are the worst for this. So it's not a low class, scum of the earth trend. Probably because they have daddy's wallet to fuel their addiction.

If you're saying that not going over top is bull**** because your missing 300 miles, it's fair to say a round the world voyage and going though the panama canal or Suez canal is also bull**** because you have "whimped" out on the tough and gnarly parts.

I can't find one reason to agree with the Just Giving comment.
I have spent all my savings on my up coming, erm..shall I call it "bull****" circumnavigation. I have sold all my processions including my bedroom TV, xbox, mountain bike and still may have to sell my car to fund this trip.

Since I'm lucky enough to be able to do this trip I want to give something back and feel rising money for a charity is the best way.

Last edited:

Fascadale

Visit site
I find claims to have sailed round Britain somewhat questionable when a sizeable and significant chunk has been left off.

Sailing round most of Britain is still an great achievement.

I would congratulate anyone for successfully completing any extended voyage in a Wayfarer.

Good luck, fairwinds and favourable tides to him.

davidej

Visit site
Its not about me,I haven't claimed anything, its about the fact that claiming to have sailed around a country and in fact not having done so and missed about two or three hundred miles off is a very false claim. Particularly when its arguably the hardest part which you have missed.
It's *******s!

Since you insist on being a pedant, I would have thought that you would realise that Britain is not a country.

fantasia7628

Visit site
I would like to wish him the very best of luck in sailing around whatever bit of this island he manages to achieve. Having sailed a Wayfarer myself for many years and having undertaken some longer passages, I have nothing but admiration for this undertaking, particularly if the weather remains foul. Good luck and fair winds.

DanTribe

Visit site
If you haven't sailed around all of the UK, then please don't claim to have done it, by circumventing the hardest bit by using the Caledonian canal.For my money sailing around the top and missing all south of the Caledonian canal would be more worthwhile.

So, to make it count for something, in your view, will he have to sail round Northern Ireland and the Shetlands as well?
He will have to finish by rounding the Needles, or he will have missed out Isle of Wight.
Whatever you think, this is a great adventure and I wish him well.
[must put some dosh in his donate box]

Sybarite

Visit site
This bit is from your link and I am curious about the point of sail he was on:

"It was impossible to look into the wind. It was screaming and the tops of the waves were blown completely away, feeling like hail. Within our limited vision the whole sea seemed to be smoking. Just to see such seas break away on the beam was frightening – 25ft of solid water, with another 12ft of overhanging crest above it. It was only a matter of time before we got one aboard."

When the inevitable happened, both men hauled on the warps, frantically trying to pull Wanderer through the crest: "She rose gallantly, but it was an impossible position: she seemed to be rising at 60 degrees and there was still a 15ft crest curling above us. Down it came and we were driven bodily under. With ears roaring under immense pressure, and swallowing water, I fought back to the surface, only to find Wanderer was lying bottom up."

It mentions waves breaking on the beam.
Then pulling on the warps (what the heck that meant I don't know - did the journalist mean "sheets")

But can I take it he was sailing into these 25 foot waves.

Would there have been a better way to sail in such conditions.

What is the best way to sail in such conditions? (I've only ever run before a F9 in a big boat)

Very brave man and what an experience. Too much for me.

Absolutely : he sailed from Scotland to Iceland (I saw a trawler sunk inside the harbour when I worked there) and from Scotland to Norway when he and his crew capsized 4 times in a F9.

He also encountered a F11 off the States during the passage of a hurricane. They don't make them like that anymore.

Sybarite

Visit site
Since you insist on being a pedant, I would have thought that you would realise that Britain is not a country.

Yes; I often wonder why they refer to the EU as the Europe of 27. It's more like 30 if you count Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland. After all, if a titch like Luxembourg can be considered in the count... ??

bikedaft

Visit site
So I've been registered on here for a little while but have never posted, but funnily enough this one caught my eye and I thought I'd contribute....

As Dan (hi Dan) says, I did sail round the UK from Waldringfield to Waldringfield back in 2010. I did miss out the top, because I didn't really fancy it, and as mentioned somewhere above, there aren't many places to seek shelter, and if stormbound for a few days (or a week as I was in Peterhead) then its just too remote. For me.

But I had a fantastic trip, with everything you'd expect and more - dolphins, seals, adventures in places like Seil Sound and whirlpools in places like Ramsey Sound.... And the canals were great fun, but then great to get back onto the open sea too.....

I don't really mind whether Clarky thinks I have or haven't sailed round the UK. I had a lovely little time. My trip was entirely self funded, and I did raise a few quid for charity as it was a good opportunity to do so. I definitely didn't hound people, but I blogged every day without fail, and people seemed to enjoy the blog and want to contribute. So that seemed ok too.

I have met up with Ludo, and he seems well planned. It was a little while ago and at the time he was in two minds about an engine. I can't see from his website whether he has taken one or not.

I had no qualms about using mine, when the wind dropped off, in small harbours etc, it was my trip with my friends with no rules other than to be safe and enjoy the trip. I wouldn't want to do the trip without one as I viewed it as my main safety equipment.

I did have a website, which is no longer running, but as someone mentioned earlier if anyone is interested to read about sailing round the UK in a small dinghy, then I have got my blog, in full, on e-mail and am very relaxed about sharing it....

For the other person that asked - he's in a Hartleys new Mark IV, the same as the one that I used (but not the same one).

Hey ho - good luck to Ludo - he has got some long legs in there. Very early on, he'll get a good idea of what's achievable with the equipment he's got....

well done. would love to read your blog...

Ru88ell

Visit site
One of my options for Whit week is a cruise around the mid to Western end of the Bristol Channel - Tenby, Lundy, Padstow perhaps. I've ummed and ahh'd a bit worrying about distance, etc. Looking at Ludo's page last night I was amazed to see that he's blasted this section and been doing 70 mile days.

Clovelly to Dale
Dale to Aberdaron
Aberdaron to Holyhead
Holyhead to Port St Mary, IOM

He's already well on the way to making Bangor, NI, for tonight.

Fair play to him.

prv

Visit site
This bit is from your link and I am curious about the point of sail he was on:

"It was impossible to look into the wind. It was screaming and the tops of the waves were blown completely away, feeling like hail. Within our limited vision the whole sea seemed to be smoking. Just to see such seas break away on the beam was frightening – 25ft of solid water, with another 12ft of overhanging crest above it. It was only a matter of time before we got one aboard."

When the inevitable happened, both men hauled on the warps, frantically trying to pull Wanderer through the crest: "She rose gallantly, but it was an impossible position: she seemed to be rising at 60 degrees and there was still a 15ft crest curling above us. Down it came and we were driven bodily under. With ears roaring under immense pressure, and swallowing water, I fought back to the surface, only to find Wanderer was lying bottom up."

It mentions waves breaking on the beam.
Then pulling on the warps (what the heck that meant I don't know - did the journalist mean "sheets")

But can I take it he was sailing into these 25 foot waves.

Frank Dye's storm technique was to drop the mast on its tabernacle onto a crutch in the stern, then rig a canvas cover from the breakwater on the foredeck, over the mast, stopping just short of the stern. One man could then sit on the aft buoyancy tank with his head and shoulders over the cover while the other attempted to sleep underneath.

They'd be lying to a sea anchor (in one case made of rucksacks etc after the main one carried away) and, as mentioned, hauling on the line with each wave to bring the bow up to it (I guess the sea anchor wasn't quite big enough to hold the bow up on its own?).

I don't think "to see such seas break away on the beam" meant that they were beam on to the waves. Rather that wavetops were breaking to left and right of them, and it was only a matter of time before one happened to break just where they were.

Pete

fireball

Visit site
This has never been done before in a two handed dinghy- it is extremely difficult. Ludo is looking to break two world records- for the youngest person to sail a dinghy around the UK in the shortest time
Er - if it's never been done before in a two handed dinghy then how is it breaking world records?

Anyway - I'd love to have the time & money to do it ... albeit in a slightly larger vessel ...