Rotostay E07 furler - forestay replacement

Polarsailor

Visit site
Dear All

I have a Rotostay E07 unit on my Rival 32. It works a treat but I need to replace the forestay. Aware that these units are no longer made and spares are hard to come by. I have the rig down now. Is it possible to replace the forestay on these units without splitting the foil sections, which appear glued together? If you do have to split the foil sections can you do it with heat?

Does anyone have a copy of the Rotostay fitting manual that is about 6 pages long. I could do with a downloadable PDF. Advice from anyone who has done this job very appreciated. Riggers said it would need replacing but I am hoping not as it works absolutely fine. and I don't have £1500 to spend on a new unit!

Brgds Keiron

skipper021

Visit site
Hi Keiron,

My last boat had this model of furler, which also worked ok, but the standing rigging was an unknown age.
When I wanted to change the standing rigging, my local riggers (Allspars at QAB Plymouth) did warn that dismantling can sometimes damage it so it won't go back together, they would try but really it needs to be done in their workshop to give the best chance of success.
Apparently most riggers wont attempt this at all but Allspars would for me.
When the riggers visited the boat, they managed to loosen one of the center sections of the foil, folded it in half and stuck it in their van to take back to the workshop.
In the end, it did come apart ok, they replaced the wire and rebuilt the furler.
Personally, I wouldnt try to take it apart myself having seen what could go wrong! But I do have the Rotostay manual in PDF format if you want it...
View attachment Rotostay E.pdf
I did the rest of the standing rig DIY, I took off the stays and gave them to Allspars to copy.

Btw, is your Rival the one on the outside trot at TRSC? I'm on the south end of middle trot

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
I have a Rotostay on my boat and fitted a new forestsay about 8 years ago. I cant recall what model mine was but I did not have to break the foil.
From memory (which is really bad these days) what I can recall is that the instruction stated to use a pvc covered wire and that the drum unscrewed (left hand thread .... I think) from the foil.
Instructions are down in the boat but may be a week or so before I get down. Will PM you when I get them.

rgarside

Visit site
View attachment Rotostay.pdf
Dear All

I have a Rotostay E07 unit on my Rival 32. It works a treat but I need to replace the forestay. Aware that these units are no longer made and spares are hard to come by. I have the rig down now. Is it possible to replace the forestay on these units without splitting the foil sections, which appear glued together? If you do have to split the foil sections can you do it with heat?

Does anyone have a copy of the Rotostay fitting manual that is about 6 pages long. I could do with a downloadable PDF. Advice from anyone who has done this job very appreciated. Riggers said it would need replacing but I am hoping not as it works absolutely fine. and I don't have £1500 to spend on a new unit!

Brgds Keiron

I have an E04, and have done the forestay on it - not too difficult - the swaged-on threaded end ran through the extrusion ok.

Have a look at the attached file [link at the top of this post, above the quote] to see if it is of any use. The cross section drawing at the end was useful.

Last edited:

neil_s

Visit site
I have just taken the fore-stay out of my E06. It slides through the foil, you just have to drive the alloy casting off the top and get your rigger to assemble it on the new plastic covered wire.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I have a Rotostay on my boat and fitted a new forestsay about 8 years ago. I cant recall what model mine was but I did not have to break the foil.
From memory (which is really bad these days) what I can recall is that the instruction stated to use a pvc covered wire and that the drum unscrewed (left hand thread .... I think) from the foil.
Instructions are down in the boat but may be a week or so before I get down. Will PM you when I get them.

I replaced mine a couple of years ago and was specifically advised to replace the PVC covered forestay with standard 1x19 stainless. I asked 3 boatyards and they all stressed this point. It all came apart fairly easily except I found the genoa had the UV strip on the wrong side and when first used it promptly unscrewed the foil from the drum! No real problem, I just furled it the other way and replaced the UV strip in the autumn.

Polarsailor

Visit site
Dear All

Great, all that information is a really big help. It's a good unit so I am really hopeful I can just replace the stay. I'll have a better look at it this weekend with the manual that I now kindly have.

Brgds Keiron