Rothesay Harbour/marina

boozhound

Visit site
I spent last week sailing all round this area and up past Inveraray. We moored off Rothesay on the way up, stopping for lunch and took the tender into the harbour. We were informed that the moorings are no longer maintained by the Rothesay Bay people and that most of them have been lifted. The 10 that are left are "own risk" only now.

The islands in Loch Fyne at Minard were very interesting as we went south. We had a complete 180 degree wind shift, had to take in a reef half way through as the winds went up to 25 knots and then shake out the reef ten minutes later when it dropped to 8 knots. The food at the Creggans was good and we watched a pod of dolphins playing round the boat as we ate.

cdogg

Visit site
Not me. The only time I'm in Kip is to buy diesel or pop into the chandlers. I cannae afford their prices for parking - I'm still seething o'er the Crown Estates 25% hike to £40 last year.

Sorry, obviously a case of me jumping to the wrong conclusion, again! I was berthed next to a yacht called 'AWOL' (never saw anyone about her during the winter) you'll probably now see how I connected you with the name.

cdogg

Visit site
We were informed that the moorings are no longer maintained by the Rothesay Bay people and that most of them have been lifted. The 10 that are left are "own risk" only now.

This kind of news is quite concerning and it keeps popping up referring to different locations depending on what publication you read you can get two or more conflicting reports on the same moorings. For example I just read that Lamlash Bay had added additional new visitor moorings to their "already well maintained ones". They are quoted as being under the control of the local ferry operator - accurate or not?

Al Dickson

Visit site
This kind of news is quite concerning and it keeps popping up referring to different locations depending on what publication you read you can get two or more conflicting reports on the same moorings. For example I just read that Lamlash Bay had added additional new visitor moorings to their "already well maintained ones". They are quoted as being under the control of the local ferry operator - accurate or not?

Quite a few of the VM's in Lamlash moorings had washed ashore over the last 2 winters as they were just getting too old for routine maintenance.

Arran Yacht club has given up maintaining them so the Holy Isle Ferry Company has taken them over.

This year they have laid 10 newly refurbished moorings for visitors @ £10 a night - they hope to add more next year as and when budget is available - they will be reliant on them being well used and everybody paying for them !

I think all the old dodgy ones have been taken out or dropped.

Alan

Last edited:

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I spent last week sailing all round this area and up past Inveraray. We moored off Rothesay on the way up, stopping for lunch and took the tender into the harbour. We were informed that the moorings are no longer maintained by the Rothesay Bay people and that most of them have been lifted. The 10 that are left are "own risk" only now.

The Bute Berthing Company website still mentions 20 swinging moorings on the front page but they have gone from the Berthing Dues pages. I have just rung them, and they confirm that they have all been lifted.