Rope rubbing strakes

Gavi

Visit site
I have a 27' steel motorboat with a natural rope rubbing strake. The rope is getting a bit old and grass is starting to grow out of it in places.

Aside from doing a bit of weeding, does anyone have any tips for cleaning such rope?

Additionally, I have searched online for someone to quote to replace the rope (it is attached by a steel centre line) but to no avail. Does anyone know anybody who can do this, please?

alan006

Visit site
Hardy used to sell replacement rope fenders for their boats so thats worth a try. A pressure washer might be a bit hard on the rope unless you are very carefull.
Best of luck

SAMYL

Visit site
Hardy used to sell replacement rope fenders for their boats so thats worth a try. A pressure washer might be a bit hard on the rope unless you are very carefull.
Best of luck

Bleach (diluted) then power washer a day or two later.
If it can stick rubbing against a harbour wall it will stick a power washer.

bf494.co.uk
as above then treat with some stockholm tar water down with white spirit

ironically I had about 150' of 3" sisal rope in the garden till recently when my other half cut it up and coiled it into planters!

alan006

Visit site
Bleach (diluted) then power washer a day or two later.
If it can stick rubbing against a harbour wall it will stick a power washer.

The reason I suggested being carefull with the pressure washer is we haven't been told what type of rope the rubbing strake is made from. If it is a manmade fibre then it is safe to pressure wash, however I have seen natural fibre ropes disintergrate under pressure washing. If it is, for example, sisal it will tend to rot from the centre and if you are not carefull you could do more harm than good.

Gavi

Visit site
Thank you for the advice - I am now even more nervous! inthi I will remove the rope weed it and clean it out as best I can. Sad about that unused sisal rope....

Kawasaki

Visit site
Additionally, I have searched online for someone to quote to replace the rope (it is attached by a steel centre line) but to no avail.

Some years ago I obtained 3 coir rope from Cosalt Marine which was affixed as you mention. To keep me Channell Island origional like.
I didn't fancy the synthetic type stuff that Hardy's fitted
You could try googling 'uk ropes' too.

Crikey -- just realised , I reckon this is me first post on 'Classic'
Bit worrying-- now where's me pipe an slippers?:rolleyes:

SAMYL

Visit site
The reason I suggested being carefull with the pressure washer is we haven't been told what type of rope the rubbing strake is made from. If it is a manmade fibre then it is safe to pressure wash, however I have seen natural fibre ropes disintergrate under pressure washing. If it is, for example, sisal it will tend to rot from the centre and if you are not carefull you could do more harm than good.

Fair enough. If it is rotten then best to find out now than wait 'till it is being used in anger! :)

FWB

N/A
Visit site
I use Brintons Deck and Fence Magic to clean the Teak and green on Sheets and Halyards.
Works wonders and lasts well over a year. Works on the house patios too !
43202150-200.jpg