Rope gone stiff

G

I have in my rope locker a perfectly good 20m 16mm three strand common or garden rope, except that it has gone all stiff and unyielding so to speak - about £40 worth from the chandlers. My other ropes are OK except that some kind person has recently relieved me of several of them (well the best of them!)

As I am aged 52, one might think that stiffness would not be the problem, rather it would be the reverse. However, does anyone have any suggestions for how to make an otherwise good but stiff rope go all limp?

Nick

G

wash it in the washing machine or tow it with a lose end astern for some few hours.

G

I bought two nylon ropes Last year Nick. I'm trying to get them stolen cos there terible for going stiff. Washing them helps for about ten minuites but thats about all.

Nurses use a cold wet flannel though. Try that !!

G

As said try it in the washing machine with plenty of fabric conditioner. If this fails it's crap rope.

G

Nick..you are in the Clyde. The ropes don't thaw out here until May at the earliest...said him without a boat at the moment:)

G

Put it in a bucket of water and laundry detergent, slosh it around and leave overnight. Rinse and allow to dry.