"Room with a view" - enclosing the cockpit

www.BrendanChandlerYachtDelivery.co.uk
\"Room with a view\" - enclosing the cockpit

<font color="blue"> I am preparing my boat for Blue Water and plan to enclose the cockpit area so that it can be used as living area when the weather is not perfect.

I would welcome and advice/suggestions as to the design of this awning with sides etc which would zip to the sprayhood and fasten around the cockpit.

Is it possible to design it so that the roof can be used as a bimini when sailing in reasonable weather?

Thanks to anybody who replies.

Brendan
</font>

cliffb

Visit site
Re: \"Room with a view\" - enclosing the cockpit

There was a post about this not long ago on the Liveaboard forum. Do a search on Biminis ...I think it'll show up.
Good luck

Robin

Visit site

We have such a bimini which is indeed useable under sail and which converts into a full cockpit canopy come conservatory when required. The bimini folds back onto our stern goalposts when not in use, but I have seen others where the frame is held by support struts from the cockpit coamings. We have zip in extensions that connect the bimini to the sprayhood and also zip in sides and back with windows. In addition for low sun angles we have semi side panels made from a sort of white plastic aertex that blocks UV and glare whilst allowing you see through and air to pass as well. Ours was made by Quay Sails in Poole who are good at visualising what is needed and coming up with a variety of solutions. We also had our sprayhood made with a centre zip-openable window such that when the bimini is up and connected to the hood we get maximum shade and airflow - known on board as the air conditioning.

www.BrendanChandlerYachtDelivery.co.uk

[ QUOTE ]
In addition for low sun angles we have semi side panels made from a sort of white plastic aertex that blocks UV and glare whilst allowing you see through and air to pass as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Thanks for that.
I have difficulty in imagining what 'aertex' is but it sounds a great idea.
Is it a type of close weave plastic netting?

Brendan </font>

Robin

Visit site

It must be an age thing! In my distant yoof we used to have Aertex underwear, ie fabric woven with very small air holes all over to allow it to breath, not like netting more like perforations. Our side screens seem like a flexible white perforated plastic with a hardish surface but which folds and rolls. I believe it originated in the USA and is the in-thing in hot clime and surprisingly the extra cost for these screeens wasn't high even in our case where each has to have additional zips to allow it to pass around the bimini frame.

A

Anonymous

Do consider the extra windage and in particular the effect on pointing if you plan to use it at sea.