Robert Clark's, Mystery

mulligan

Visit site
Robert Clark\'s, Mystery

I have a Robert Clark, Mystery called "Mystico", I would be interested to hear from anyone who either owns a Mystery or knows anyone with one. I am in the process of a ground up restoration and would like to speak with people who have the same type of boat. I would also like to find out how many survive from 1936.

Kind regards

Ross Davis

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
Re: Robert Clark\'s, Mystery

Classic Boat ran a piece on the original Mystery, restored at Fox's in Ipswich, last year, I think. They will supply a copy. Call Fox's who will put you in touch with the owner.

Mystery was Clark's first design, drawn while recovering from illness. She was a pure Metacentroid, based on Admiral Turner's theory of balance. I sailed Mystery after her restoration in a Force 7 and she sailed as straight as a die, even overpressed, which was scary. No hand on the tiller. There's another moored in Newtown Creek by the way.

Harrison Butler was impressed by the design and sailed her on her maiden voyage in the 1930s. It's all in the CB article.

ahab

Visit site

The New maritime Museum at Greenwich hold many of Robert Clark's records. they are very helpful if you need any information.

Aja

Visit site

I know of one other 'Galante' which used to be based on the Clyde but the last I heard from her was in the Inverness area.

My father has owned 'Lassiette' since 1972 which was built in 1939/47 to the same metacentroid principle. Even today when sailing her she just goes straight, no matter the amount of heel. Wish my modern Jeanneau was as easy on the arms...