Robbins Timber in Bristol to start selling new teak substitute

Concerto

Visit site
Robbins Timber have been appointed the sole UK and Ireland distributor for TMT Marine, a timber product which is designed to be a sustainable alternative to Burmese (Myanmar) teak.

American Maple is selected and cut at source to provide a straight, quarter sawn grain. It is then kiln dried, before undergoing a thermal modification process. The result is a rich brown, quarter sawn timber with a Class 1 durability rating.

No mention as to cost compared to teak, but Robbins have their first delivery.

UK timber company selected by TMT Marine - Marine Industry News

Talulah

Visit site
I already have a sample waiting for me at home. My teak deck is shot and needs replacing. Luckily my wife has just spent a week on board and seen first hand what I’m talking about. This means the seed is sewn.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Robbins Timber have been appointed the sole UK and Ireland distributor for TMT Marine, a timber product which is designed to be a sustainable alternative to Burmese (Myanmar) teak.

American Maple is selected and cut at source to provide a straight, quarter sawn grain. It is then kiln dried, before undergoing a thermal modification process. The result is a rich brown, quarter sawn timber with a Class 1 durability rating.

No mention as to cost compared to teak, but Robbins have their first delivery.

UK timber company selected by TMT Marine - Marine Industry News
Good for Robbins. There has to be a market for decent and environmentally sound alternatives to teak.

It’s a shame that nobody rescued Lignia in Barry when they went tits up. Their teak replacement used treated Monterrey pine, and seemed like an excellent product.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I don’t know the price of teak. Quote for my Najad 390 at 10mm thick PAR is £10k.
I don’t know how much of that is machining cost.
Thanks.
Seems quite expensive (what isn't nowadays). How many sq.m? Or plank width and the RM for your £10k?
Buying board lengths and cutting/planing to size myself is probably the way I'd go.

burgundyben

Visit site
Good for Robbins. There has to be a market for decent and environmentally sound alternatives to teak.

It’s a shame that nobody rescued Lignia in Barry when they went tits up. Their teak replacement used treated Monterrey pine, and seemed like an excellent product.

Has Lignia gone bust?

Frogmogman

Visit site
Spirit yachts were using Lignia.

It is a shame. I did try to interest a friend with a lot of private equity business in building materials to have a look at saving the company, but he felt it was too specialized for him.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Spirit yachts were using Lignia.

It is a shame. I did try to interest a friend with a lot of private equity business in building materials to have a look at saving the company, but he felt it was too specialized for him.
I've seen Lignia on a Spirit yacht and looks great. New yachts are still being built with teak decks so I wonder where it is coming from. Is it law that teak must come with a certificate in the UK ?