RNLI's Peter Chennell answering lifejacket questions right now!

danfoley

www.ybw.com
Hmm, no idea why that is, this is the first time we've used this software. I'll ask the providers if they know what causes this for future - I presume the rest of the page loads just not the embeded player?

Juggler7823

Visit site
The RNLI is not completely correct about the statement about it being a legal requirement in Eire on ALL boats. It is a requirement on boats below a certain length, I think 8m. I suspect that the majority of boaters in the UK who object to wearing lifejackets are those on larger boats.

FullCircle

Visit site
Well, it was frustratingly not live. I waited 8 minutes for a typed question of mine, but nothing, so I went back to work.

Just checked. My 12:36 question appeared at 12:54, after I signed off with a comment typed 10 minutes later appeared 6 minutes earlier.

It also 'deleted' a question.

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
Well, it was frustratingly not live. I waited 8 minutes for a typed question of mine, but nothing, so I went back to work.

Just checked. My 12:36 question appeared at 12:54, after I signed off with a comment typed 10 minutes later appeared 6 minutes earlier.

It also 'deleted' a question.

You don't think they were "approving" the questions to avoid "embarrassment" to the RNLI, do you?

FullCircle

Visit site
You don't think they were "approving" the questions to avoid "embarrassment" to the RNLI, do you?

Without evidence either confirming or to the contrary, I would say that I couldn't possibly comment.

Who knows, perhaps I was misovertyped.

sarabande

Visit site
it was indeed a bit like being part of the Revision Committee for the New Authorised Version. I was expecting a bit more cut and thrust. Rather like the sessions that SimonJ holds for his Met Classes.

I am pretty certain it will not change the established view on LJs; having nailed their colours to the "useless unless worn" mast, the RNLI is appearing a bit like a dinosaur, when they could be conducting proper research into more effective systems for preventing MOBs, design of LJs, and recovery systems. There's enough commercial benefit for some of the safety companies to put together a research group with the RNLI, with a SIG from here perhaps.

Nice people, very nice people, but protective not progressive.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest