River Yealm

claymore

Visit site
Bummer - The ICI factory that used to operate on the River Wyre had an 'accidental' discharge of some cack a few years ago and it stripped a few boats clean at Knott End.

Aja

Visit site
"Sentencing the company, which is owned by the multinational AkzoNobel, recorder Simon Levene said it had stopped using TBT in 2002 and should have cleaned out the tank years ago. He said it was “suspicious” that the discharge happened after the site was put up for sale."

You don't say.....

doug748

Visit site
Bummer - The ICI factory that used to operate on the River Wyre had an 'accidental' discharge of some cack a few years ago and it stripped a few boats clean at Knott End.

Knott End. There is a blast from the past. Reminds me of the old newspaper headline gag:

"Knott End - Flattened to the Ground in Earthquake - £1000 worth of damage"

:)

WoodyP

Visit site
What is the salary of Thierry Vanlancker?
As the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Management and the Executive Committee of Akzo Nobel NV, the total compensation of Thierry Vanlancker at Akzo Nobel NV is $4,231,210. There are no executives at Akzo Nobel NV getting paid more.
The fine isn't going to make the company change behaviour or restore the appalling damage to the marine environment. Much worse than sewage which will break down in time this sort of pollution should result in criminal charges for top executives who allow this sort of thing, but usually it ends up at the door of someone further down the food chain who wasn't given the training, budget resources and encouraged to do the right thing.

Poecheng

Visit site
The difficulty is pinning it on (i) the top executives in a personal capacity and (ii) on a company where no positive duty exists. Here a positive duty existed and so it is possible to convict the company, though they did go through a trial.
The person who comes well out of this is the potential buyer (property developer) whose initial testing showed the (significant) presence of TBT in the quayside tanks and then kicked off when that was no longer present on the second time of testing and realised International had just flushed it out into the Yealm (and indeed it was all found around the quayside area)

WoodyP

Visit site
The difficulty is pinning it on (i) the top executives in a personal capacity and (ii) on a company where no positive duty exists. Here a positive duty existed and so it is possible to convict the company, though they did go through a trial.
The person who comes well out of this is the potential buyer (property developer) whose initial testing showed the (significant) presence of TBT in the quayside tanks and then kicked off when that was no longer present on the second time of testing and realised International had just flushed it out into the Yealm (and indeed it was all found around the quayside area)
Corporate manslaughter can be pinned on the chief executive. This is environmental slaughter but I take your point. When I was purchasing land and disposing of land for the Environment Agency our process demanded that all hazards were remediated in advance. Although the EA get a bad press, their problems can be traced to lack of funding and political interference.