River Thames Guide App updated for new season

Rascal Joe

www.jeffmaynard.com
The free guide to all leisure activities on the River Thames (tidal and non-tidal) and the Way Navigation is updated and will roll out to users over the next day or so.
Changes include:
  1. New maps for easier reading
  2. Maps now include Points of Interest near the river
  3. Lite. version can be magnified to a greater extent
  4. Map overlay colours improved for better readability
  5. Thames Journey Planner overlay on maps is now much clearer
The big change I worked on over the winter to display live river conditions on the interactive map has been shelved because the EA withdrew the conditions RSS feed used by the app to get the latest info. My investigation and exchange of emails with the EA suggests their 'reason' for this change is simply an excuse to reduce somebodies workload (although extracting an RSS feed from their Conditions web page would take the EA IT department about half a. day - more evidence perhaps that they do not care much about river users?)

davidlhill

Visit site
Just downstream of the construction of the new sewer there are two huge yellow buoys. I've often wondered if they are there purely for the use of barges involved in the construction of the super sewer, or whether I could use one to stop overnight with my barge.

Will your guide/app give me the answer to this, and other similar, question?

Thanks.

Rascal Joe

www.jeffmaynard.com
Yellow buoys are used to mark something (often a hazard such as an (underwater obstruction) - there may be passed either side but generally are not intended as mooring spots.
Since yellow buoys are transient it is not possible to include their presence in the app.

davidlhill

Visit site
Yellow buoys are used to mark something (often a hazard such as an (underwater obstruction) - there may be passed either side but generally are not intended as mooring spots.
Since yellow buoys are transient it is not possible to include their presence in the app.
thanks for your reply - though on these two I have seen construction barges tied up. I guess then they are just for the sewer works.

But to my other question - will your guide/app help me find overnight mooring stops for my 26m barge for a trip from Gillingham to Kingston?

Thanks again.