River license

RubyII

Visit site
I'm looking for some advice as I'm planning on going from the Thames via the sea into the river, then canal network. Appreciate I need a certificate for this. I had lined someone up to view my boat, certificate and recommend accordingly, currently on the south coast. But I'm suffering from radio silence! before I know it, my departure time from the south coast of Easter will be upon us.
Any recommendations please?
Thanks, Paul

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
You will need to register your boat (that's what they call a licence) with the relevant authority.

You will need, I believe, two different registrations, one from the Environment Agency (EA) for the Thames, and one from the Canal and River Trust (CRT) for the canal network.

Both registrations normally require a Boat Safety Certificate (relates to the Boat Safety Scheme) to be presented before issuing a registration, but there are usually exemptions (such as ChrisD mentions above) for registration for a short-term visit. (How long is a maximum short-stay will depend on the registration authority.)

You can find details of the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) online. Meeting this can be challenging. Many, if not most, seagoing boats will not meet the BSS without modification (particularly in relation to e.g. toilets, gas installations, engine and fuel filling/supply arrangements). Note there are requirements (I can't remember the terminology they use) to ensure this or that, which are hard and fast, and then there are standard ways (again, I can't remember their terminology) of meeting the requirements. An inspector will check whether your boat meets the standard way and issue a certificate if it does. It is theoretically possible to meet the hard and fast requirements in other ways, but it will involve extra time and expense to get the alternative solution(s) approved (which I believe will go through both the inspector and a BSS office).

Typically with such authorities as the EA and CRT, sailing boats with engines and which are not open boats will need to register as powered craft (but check with the relevant authority).

There is a lot of information about registration online from the various authorities, but not always in a particularly user-friendly format (not least because they are mainly focused on permanently registered local boats). The following might get help get you started.

Licence your boat (Canal & River Trust)

River Thames: boat registration and application forms (Environment Agency)

BSS | Boat Safety Scheme | Go Boating - Stay Safe
https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/me...hecking-procedures-interim-public-version.pdf

See also the very useful guides issued by the Port of London for leisure users, which will aid that portion your trip from open sea/estuary mouth to the EA controlled section of the river.
https://server1.pla.co.uk/assets/newouterrugweb.pdf
https://server1.pla.co.uk/assets/newinnerrugweb.pdf

Portland Billy

Visit site
If you are coming from the South Coast and into the Thames I assume she is a sturdy seagoing vessel.
Plenty of those on the Thames, but limited air draught for some bridges.
Where on the inland canal system do you intend to travel.?
I guess you have done your homework as regards beam and height restrictions.
Visitors licenses should be no problem, depending on length of stay.

Chris_d

Visit site
If you are coming from the South Coast and into the Thames I assume she is a sturdy seagoing vessel.
Plenty of those on the Thames, but limited air draught for some bridges.
Where on the inland canal system do you intend to travel.?
I guess you have done your homework as regards beam and height restrictions.
Visitors licenses should be no problem, depending on length of stay.

Keep up :)
Mast down

harvey38

Visit site
What kind of boat is it? You have to have a very limited beam if you're venturing onto the canal system.

RubyII

Visit site
You will need to register your boat (that's what they call a licence) with the relevant authority.

You will need, I believe, two different registrations, one from the Environment Agency (EA) for the Thames, and one from the Canal and River Trust (CRT) for the canal network.

Both registrations normally require a Boat Safety Certificate (relates to the Boat Safety Scheme) to be presented before issuing a registration, but there are usually exemptions (such as ChrisD mentions above) for registration for a short-term visit. (How long is a maximum short-stay will depend on the registration authority.)

You can find details of the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) online. Meeting this can be challenging. Many, if not most, seagoing boats will not meet the BSS without modification (particularly in relation to e.g. toilets, gas installations, engine and fuel filling/supply arrangements). Note there are requirements (I can't remember the terminology they use) to ensure this or that, which are hard and fast, and then there are standard ways (again, I can't remember their terminology) of meeting the requirements. An inspector will check whether your boat meets the standard way and issue a certificate if it does. It is theoretically possible to meet the hard and fast requirements in other ways, but it will involve extra time and expense to get the alternative solution(s) approved (which I believe will go through both the inspector and a BSS office).

Typically with such authorities as the EA and CRT, sailing boats with engines and which are not open boats will need to register as powered craft (but check with the relevant authority).

There is a lot of information about registration online from the various authorities, but not always in a particularly user-friendly format (not least because they are mainly focused on permanently registered local boats). The following might get help get you started.

Licence your boat (Canal & River Trust)

River Thames: boat registration and application forms (Environment Agency)

BSS | Boat Safety Scheme | Go Boating - Stay Safe
https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/me...hecking-procedures-interim-public-version.pdf

See also the very useful guides issued by the Port of London for leisure users, which will aid that portion your trip from open sea/estuary mouth to the EA controlled section of the river.
https://server1.pla.co.uk/assets/newouterrugweb.pdf
https://server1.pla.co.uk/assets/newinnerrugweb.pdf
Thanks BSS is an interesting one !
What kind of boat is it? You have to have a very limited beam if you're venturing onto the canal system.
Thanks Roxan "RubyII" the boat has doe this tip a few years ago .

Other threads that may be of interest