Rip Off

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Chaps, don't bother visiting Cardiff (Mermaid Quay), now £2 per hour on the meter,. I had to spend that to get babies milk and i was there for maybe 15 mins. !! Pm me for a better solution!

Sneds

Visit site
£2 per hour!
As bad as the car parks here in Bristol. where, incidently, you can tie up your boat or dingy for free at various places around the City Docks.
Perhaps we ought to find out who we can e-mail to register our dusgust and post it on scutelbug and the mobo forum?

Q

quimby

Did you motor on to visitors pontoon at CBYC Saturday? A dark blue yacht! we were on the Pontoon near the slip end on"Royce"My Achilles 24 paying a home visit. I would not pay meter charges anyway.(being on a fixed income) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluedragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Chaps, don't bother visiting Cardiff (Mermaid Quay), now £2 per hour on the meter,. I had to spend that to get babies milk and i was there for maybe 15 mins. !! Pm me for a better solution!

[/ QUOTE ]
Dead right - Rip-off! Particularly bearing in mind that all Cardiff Bay berthholders (marina and YCs) already pay a hefty fee to Cardiff Harbour Authority in the annual charges. A major boycott of Mermaid Quay is needed. If you can't enjoy a lunchtime or evening sail and tie-up without the meter running, then what's the point in being in Cardiff Bay at all! We've already moved our sailing base to Milford...more and more glad we did.

graham

Visit site
We were tempted to keep the boat in Milford this summer but i would miss going for a quick sail as i do quite often at short notice.

I think the Mermaid Pontoons are £2 for the first hour then £1 after .Personally I think the biggest rip off in the Channel is Ilfracombe charging you £5 to anchor outside in the range even if you dont go ashore.

Visit site
Your right £2 for the first two hours and £1 every hour after which IMHO is a big fat con, i was tied up wednesday afternoon having a cup of tea on board for ten minutes when two patrol boats came over eyeing me up so i went, but i protest at paying 2 quid to stop and not go ashore to be ripped off in the bay,there is one exeption the lightship behind the norwegion church does great grub at unbelevable cheap prices and the staff are so freindly next time in the bay give it a try,you wont be disappointed.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Are they allowed to charge for anchoring?? If you aren't in the harbour surely you can't be liable for dues. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they did something about those b****y pot markers that dramatically reduce the available space.

I haven't anchored at Ilfracombe since I found Combe Martin to be so much nicer, and almost as protected but with loads of room.

graham

Visit site
Unfortunately it seems they can.I have heard the harbour master makes a note of boats names anchored in the range then if you dont go ashore he puts your name on his blacklist so you get charged for it on your next visit.

If you spend half the night rolling in the swell it would really cheer you up getting charged for the privilige /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I havent been to Coombe for 2 or 3 years so its second hand info.

Ilfracombe Harbour Charges

1937rogerdon

Visit site
I think you will find that Minehead is charging £1.50 a metre
with no facilities. But Watchet at £24 for a 32' boat is also expensive with lousy showers. I only paid £19 a night in Falmouth with much better facilites.

bluedragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Are they allowed to charge for anchoring?? If you aren't in the harbour surely you can't be liable for dues. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they did something about those b****y pot markers that dramatically reduce the available space.

I haven't anchored at Ilfracombe since I found Combe Martin to be so much nicer, and almost as protected but with loads of room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the way they define the harbour it includes the area we all use as an anchorage. I believe the cost is actually £10 now (?). We've used Combe Martin instead if just waiting for the tide or a quick overnight stop before heading on.

Allan

Visit site
I am very happy to boycott Mermaid quay, I was going on about this when you could stay for a quid. Now it is twice as bad. When I was there a few weeks ago the traffic warden had a go at me because I put the gate number on a piece of paper on my boat, facing outwards of course! I pointed out that (for once) I had bought a ticket and if anyone wanted to use the reminder, I had put up so I didn't need my glasses, it was up to them. If a protest is organised I will be there. Is it the same price in the "frozen valley" near St Davids?
Allan