RIP Bob Fisher in Scuttlebutt

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Just in case any East Coast Sailor has missed it there is on Scuttlebutt discussion about Bob Fisher, who has passed on

I recall Bob Fisher as an East Coast dinghy person, when guess that he was at the height of his personal best in Dinghys at that time; sailing the Essex waters and frequenting the various Clubs; being quite a celebrity he was oft spoke of most kindly

7Cboy

Visit site
I met him when we took Lady Helmsman in to the Maritime Museum at Greenwich. We asked him and Reg White how they managed to rig the huge wing mast at Thorpe Bay. Fish said they laid her on her side , fitted the mast and then he got the local TA to turn her upright again.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Was it Bob fisher that took a mirror dinghy to Thorpe bay for an open meeting. It was cancelled due to torrential rain. On the way home one of the underpasses on the a127 was totally flooded, so some of them rigged up & held a race around the roundabout under the bridges until the fuzz told them to b..ger off.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Was it Bob fisher that took a mirror dinghy to Thorpe bay for an open meeting. It was cancelled due to torrential rain. On the way home one of the underpasses on the a127 was totally flooded, so some of them rigged up & held a race around the roundabout under the bridges until the fuzz told them to b..ger off.
Sounds like BF, but a Mirror dinghy? The slowest boat I ever knew BF to sail was a Hornet

PeterV

Visit site
I don’t think Bob F had anything to do with it but my recollection was that it was a fleet of Puffins were told to move on after sailing their boats on th Chelmsford underpass off the A27.

PeterWright

Visit site
I don’t think Bob F had anything to do with it but my recollection was that it was a fleet of Puffins were told to move on after sailing their boats on th Chelmsford underpass off the A27.
A 27 Pevensey to the wolds of Wiltshire, Chelmsford county town of Essex, something not quite adding up???

davidej

Visit site
I lived at Thorpe Bay during the heyday of the Little America Cup. My brother and I used the go down to the beach to help manhandling Hellcat, Emma Hamilton, Ocelot, Lady Hamilton and of course the challengers.
As schoolboys we loved rubbing shoulders with him, Reg White, Rod Macalpine-Downie , John Osborne and the other catamaran glitterati. Happy days!
Led me on to 20 years of weekend racing catamarans.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
I lived at Thorpe Bay during the heyday of the Little America Cup. My brother and I used the go down to the beach to help manhandling Hellcat, Emma Hamilton, Ocelot, Lady Hamilton and of course the challengers.
As schoolboys we loved rubbing shoulders with him, Reg White, Rod Macalpine-Downie , John Osborne and the other catamaran glitterati. Happy days!
Which class of cat?

ex-Gladys

Visit site

That'd be Lady Helmsman... sponsored by Helmsman paints
Which class of cat?
C class...

There were/are 4 ISAF development cat classes:

A - 18'
B - 20' (Tornado won the selection trials in 1967)
C - 25' Little Americas cup class
D- 30' (years ago there was a single moulded wood hull and beams in the "wreck yard" at Marconi SC)