Rigger Athens area

charles_reed

Visit site
The swaged terminal pulled off at the top of my forestay, half way across Kissiparis Bay, yesterday afternoon.
Having re-stabilised the mast I need to find a rigger.
Whilst there is one in Levkas, I have to have the boat back in Port Eleftheres, near Kavala, for winter by mid-October.
My way back there is past Athens.
Can anyone recommend a rigger in the area?
He has to replace the forestay, to suit a RotostayE - a old forestay reefing roller, which has long since stopped trading. Effectively that means a special lower turnbuckle and the top one put on in situ, using a mobile press.

charles_reed

Visit site

Thanks - they have my old forestay on its way to them with the old top fork. Failure-mode appears to have been by fatigue.
I'm actually in Kalamata, where the local odd-job rigger-sailmaker is helping me do the corrective work.
From all the research I've been able to do, Meltemi appear to be the only rigging manufacturers in Greece, everybody else uses them for new wire rigging.
I have not been able to ascertain whether or not they can manufacture rod-rigging replacements.
As I'll have to replace the rest of the standing rigging during the next 12 months, his name is extremely useful.

charles_reed

Visit site
Charles, any photos of the failed part, please? Vyv

Unfortunately not - it came off @ 12:30 on Thursday and caught the 13:20 Athens coach on it's way to Meltemi.
It has a clean uniform fracture at the start of the swage, no trailing wires and looks like most of the fatigue FMEA samples I've seen - to really see any granulation you'd need a high degree of magnification. An electron microscope is not something one has on a boat.
There is a section of my old mast, in Southampton University Engineering School, demonstrating such a granular break.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Unfortunately not - it came off @ 12:30 on Thursday and caught the 13:20 Athens coach on it's way to Meltemi.
It has a clean uniform fracture at the start of the swage, no trailing wires and looks like most of the fatigue FMEA samples I've seen - to really see any granulation you'd need a high degree of magnification. An electron microscope is not something one has on a boat.
There is a section of my old mast, in Southampton University Engineering School, demonstrating such a granular break.

You are attempting to baffle us Charles:). You only need eyes or low power magnification to identify fatigue fractures. Lots of examples on my website.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I have to reply Meltemi is one of many firms in and around Athens suppling and making rigging .I know Minas the owner quite well and he has done extensive work on my yacht.He does a very good if not expensive work and has agents over Greece that take a % as they should.

Last edited:

charles_reed

Visit site

Ah well we can always disagree with those pesky academic engineers - my daughter did 3 years for her PhD using the Cambridge electron microscope to take innumerable photos of fatigue or not fractures.
I now have a photograph - Meltemi returned the top fork - it's quite a large file, even in *.jpg, so I'm not certain you'll want to use the ybw.com website.