Rice Cookers

Aja

Visit site
Induction hobs - We cannot run ours at maximum - our inverter is too small. But even with the 1500 watt inverter the hob works and is invaluable (for all the reasons people use indiction hobs). I believe the camping company Vango make a 'low power' induction hob more suitable for smaller inverters and it, the Vango Hob, has been the subject of posts here, or on PBO. I think there might even be a double hob...?

I'm sure we could buy a Vango hob (at considerable expense) here - but we just bought one from Temu (as they are all probably made in China anyway)

Maybe, surely, someone local, ie UK based, knows more than a distant colonialist :) of Vango products.

Jonathan
An anagram of 'Govan' 😉

stranded

Visit site
So much information on plugs and ac frequencies yet no obvious indication of power consumption. 0.7kWh to make beef stew in a slow cooker? Most slow cookers are 250w = 3 hours cooking. Stew is not normally served saignant.
Ah, well, it’s not a slow cooker like dedicated slow cookers, more like a lowish oven. Remember I have one at home. It is small, so chopped meat, not whole joints - stew for two. I do know how to cook, and it works very well for the things that it works with. I do not use it for things that it won’t work with.

Power info is on the yumasia website. Consumption is 350W.

stranded

Visit site
Yes, but surely it is thermostatically controlled so only draws its rated 350W some of the time as needed to maintain temperature. Hence do not multiply rating by time to get actual consumption.
I’m guessing so, but as I can’t be arsed to try to measure that at home, if I assume rated output for the duration and am happy I can work with that I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Pete7

Visit site
I’m guessing so, but as I can’t be arsed to try to measure that at home, if I assume rated output for the duration and am happy I can work with that I can only be pleasantly surprised.
If you are used to the Panda at home then it makes sense to using the same model on board to keep things simple. Its quite big, therefore we might look at the Lakeland 2 servings model instead with a power draw of 250w, all for £35.

Rice Cookers | Electric, 1L & 2L Cookers

Pete7

Visit site
Induction hobs - We cannot run ours at maximum - our inverter is too small. But even with the 1500 watt inverter the hob works and is invaluable (for all the reasons people use indiction hobs). I believe the camping company Vango make a 'low power' induction hob more suitable for smaller inverters and it, the Vango Hob, has been the subject of posts here, or on PBO. I think there might even be a double hob...?

Maybe, surely, someone local, ie UK based, knows more than a distant colonialist :) of Vango products.

Jonathan
We run a double Vango off a 2kW Sterling inverter without any problems and find the 800w of cooking power fine, apart from searing steaks were you want lots of heat for a short time and then reduce the pan temperature to cook. It can be done on a Vango just with a good quality pan and getting it really hot before adding the steaks. However, like you we have our original 1500w single induction so will probably use this in future. Using pan lids also helps not only to keep the heat in the pan but reduce water vapour on board, particularly when simmering veg or pasta.

If you can't run the Temu at full power, what will the inverter allow? guessing 1300w, so is this enough for your normal cooking needs? When we first started with the Sterling 1500w induction hob we quickly learnt to reduce the power to more modest levels or risk turning everything into charcoal.

I am hoping you are keeping track of the power generated and how much you use each day with cooking etc. The numbers will help decide if you need more LFP, or invest in more solar.

Depending on how much extra solar you fit there are two options for water heating. Either just plug the calorifier heating element into the inverter or use a solar dump which are appearing on the market. However, you need to have say a spare kWh readily available each day so that you can run a 1kW element a couple of times a day for 30 minutes.

stranded

Visit site
If you are used to the Panda at home then it makes sense to using the same model on board to keep things simple. Its quite big, therefore we might look at the Lakeland 2 servings model instead with a power draw of 250w, all for £35.

Rice Cookers | Electric, 1L & 2L Cookers
Yeah, I’m leaning that way - just checking I wasn’t missing something better. It’s got a bigger footprint but is not too high so will fit in a drawer space that is about to be evacuated by two cafetières, coffee pot, coffee grinder and two coffee caddies as we finally commit fully to Nespresso! And its wide and low stance on the counter will be good for use at sea.

Neeves

Visit site
We run a double Vango off a 2kW Sterling inverter without any problems and find the 800w of cooking power fine, apart from searing steaks were you want lots of heat for a short time and then reduce the pan temperature to cook. It can be done on a Vango just with a good quality pan and getting it really hot before adding the steaks. However, like you we have our original 1500w single induction so will probably use this in future. Using pan lids also helps not only to keep the heat in the pan but reduce water vapour on board, particularly when simmering veg or pasta.

If you can't run the Temu at full power, what will the inverter allow? guessing 1300w, so is this enough for your normal cooking needs? When we first started with the Sterling 1500w induction hob we quickly learnt to reduce the power to more modest levels or risk turning everything into charcoal.

I am hoping you are keeping track of the power generated and how much you use each day with cooking etc. The numbers will help decide if you need more LFP, or invest in more solar.

Depending on how much extra solar you fit there are two options for water heating. Either just plug the calorifier heating element into the inverter or use a solar dump which are appearing on the market. However, you need to have say a spare kWh readily available each day so that you can run a 1kW element a couple of times a day for 30 minutes.

Our induction hob has 8 pre-set cooking temperatures, 'porridge' to 'stir fry'. We don't use these but set the temperature manually and we can programme from 80-240 deg C OR 200W to 2,000W. Our inverter is rated at 1,500W so we work to a 1300W max. Once the 'dish' reaches our preset watts/temperature (actually we are pressing Watts used) we would drop the temperature down.

The digital display provides watts as the display.

The temperature/wattage display is a simple plus and minus buttons

I have not correlated temperature with watts, don't actually have a thermometer nor have I correlated displayed watts and actual used. I could do it - and it would be worth doing.

The watts used is like a rheostat (I think) its not click, click - just tap plus or minus.

The unit also has a timer, that we have not used and a lock (we don't have inquisitive children, they are all adults - no need to use the lock).

Complaints - its very light, its easily moved, slides. The working surface is also very slippery. Unlike our gas hob, which is, obviously, fixed both the induction hob moves and the pans move on the hob. Neither are ideal if you had an all electric galley and were cooking in a boisterous sea. I could secure the hob, lots of ways - making saucepan clamps would be a bit more difficult. One way to secure would be a simple non slip mat, but the unit gets quite hot, it has a computer fan in the underside, permanently 'on' - so some mats might not work (being heat sensitive)

We have a few saucepans that are not induction compatible and have a 'conversion' plate (its like a drop scone pan) to allow their use - on order (from Timu).

Its very easy to store, being flat it fits in a drawer or vertically along the side of a cupboard. I could build a rack and store it at the rear of a worktop (as one might store a chopping or bread board).

We cook rice, back to the OP's thread, the old fashioned way - in an earthen ware pot - ceramic does not work on an induction bob - might work with the converter plate. Its amazing that a simply operation, cooking rice, has spawned such sophisticated electronic devices.

Now that we have learnt its usage - would not be without it (the induction hob), would recommend to anyone.

Interestingly we have seen few, I cannot recall any, double hobs, like the Vango model and we have seen no hobs offering 800 watts max, Vango seem to have both markets to themselves (all credit to them, though whether they take advantage, don't know). I see Vango as being very technically innovative - their marketing seems a bit laid back (how many people in the UK know of their induction hobs?). I'm not sure if 2 x induction hobs or one double would be best, not having experienced the latter.

Solar dump - my search item this evening (Thanks Pete! - I have noted your final sentence :) ).

I don't think its a question for us of more solar OR more LFP, In our case, solar 300 watts, 1500 max inverter and 200 amps of LFP, we need more of everything - its a question of getting the balance right, how much more of each (redundancy would be good) and then cost. Some sacrifices, meaning less cost, become acceptable - its getting the compromises right. My Scots background rising to the fore - throwing money at a problem is not the answer.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Pete7

Visit site
Complaints - its very light, its easily moved, slides. The working surface is also very slippery. Unlike our gas hob, which is, obviously, fixed both the induction hob moves and the pans move on the hob. Neither are ideal if you had an all electric galley and were cooking in a boisterous sea. I could secure the hob, lots of ways - making saucepan clamps would be a bit more difficult. One way to secure would be a simple non slip mat, but the unit gets quite hot, it has a computer fan in the underside, permanently 'on' - so some mats might not work (being heat sensitive)

Interestingly we have seen few, I cannot recall any, double hobs, like the Vango model and we have seen no hobs offering 800 watts max, Vango seem to have both markets to themselves (all credit to them, though whether they take advantage, don't know). I see Vango as being very technically innovative - their marketing seems a bit laid back (how many people in the UK know of their induction hobs?). I'm not sure if 2 x induction hobs or one double would be best, not having experienced the latter.
Think you need a couple of silicone mats of Amazon which will do a pretty good job of stopping the pan sliding on the induction hob. We have a couple but also chose to gimbal the Vango double so its usable at sea and we do cook whilst sailing.

Try this for a solar dump. It was one of the first on the market and a bit pricey back then. Now there are others available. The canal boat lot are ahead of yachties doing this.

Attachments

• IMG_1294.JPG
    IMG_1294.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
Think you need a couple of silicone mats of Amazon which will do a pretty good job of stopping the pan sliding on the induction hob. We have a couple but also chose to gimbal the Vango double so its usable at sea and we do cook whilst sailing.

Try this for a solar dump. It was one of the first on the market and a bit pricey back then. Now there are others available. The canal boat lot are ahead of yachties doing this.

Thanks Pete,

I think the leisure 4x4, off road, caravan 'lots' are all also ahead of yachties on a whole variety of ideas and concepts.

We tend to think we are 'special' and breaking barriers - its all been done prior.

The idea that we have special needs, because we are at sea and need to have back ups in case of catastrophic failure of Lithium is little different to a 4x4 crossing the Simpson Desert (1 week) or the Canning Stock Route, 4 weeks) - if your Lithium fails it is a disaster and there is no-one there to hold your hand.

I'll look at the vid this evening.

Jonathan