Rib tubes advice?

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
Hi All,

A friend and I have just bagged a dirt cheap rib for blatting about the bay on days when we dont want to take the big boats out!

However the tubes have seen better days having not only been painted black but they have a few patches and deflate after a few days....

Now is this a crazy question..........................................

Can I inject them with expanding foam i.e. the stuff that builders use?

The cost of new tubes or expensive repairs will totally outweigh the "bargain" we have bought....

Cheers
Rob

jeremyshaw

Visit site
It's a lovely idea, but I think it will be tricky.

To get the foam in, you will have to open a valve. This will let the air out and alter the shape.

If you use spray foam, it will be very hard to get it evenly distributed.

A better chance might be had with pouring foam, which people often use to fill the hollow hulls of RIBs. Possibly by cutting slits in the top. But I would worry whether it would expand in the 'right way' i.e. push the pontoon walls out enough as you filled. And there is also a risk it would expand in the wrong places and 'blow out' the pontoon.

Also you should be aware that although these are closed cell foams they are not designed for prolonged immersion. If there are cuts in the tube the foam will eventually soak up water (probably over quite a time as the cells degrade) and make the RIB heavier.

You can find good advice on the behaviour of pouring foam here:
http://www.uscomposites.com/faq_foam.html#11

If you decide to give it a go do let us know how you get on!