Restrictions in Turkey.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
"The government, which is implementing regulations to encourage the transition in order to make the country the center of global yacht tourism, is preparing to impose restrictions on the duration of yachts that do not bear Turkish flags in Turkey."

That's got to be joke, right?

Unless the Turks get rid of their ridiculous black and grey holding tank rules, it just 'ain't gonna happen! :rolleyes:

Richard

dslittle

Visit site
So it appears that the Turks are actively helping the Greeks by pushing boats back to Greece to pay the new Greek taxes - I wonder how long it will take them to realise that they are helping their neighbours!!!

OldBawley

Visit site
You guys aware of the tensions between Turkey and Greece ?

Some bad provocation going on. ( island Imia )

Time to buy matches and sunlight soap.

Chief Charlie

Visit site
Surely this will end the wintering afloat in Turkey? If you manage the 4 months maximum over the winter then you will be obliged to leave Turkish waters immediately afterward.
The marinas encouraging live aboard will not be pleased.

satsuma

Visit site
In typical Turkish fashion this announcement has been made with little thought and even less discussion with many interested parties!
I have been aware of this law for some time, since it is no secret in Turkey. My understandıng from the local yacht club, coastguard and Turkısh Yacht Federation, is that this law relates to foreign flagged yachts owned by Turkish citizens.
Bringing the register in line with many other countries, by using residence for qualification.
It is not clear (because no detaıl ıs yet decıded) ıf this will affect foreıgn owners ınsıde the country for an extended duratıon, or whether ıt would requıre the owner to leave the country for a duratıon (to demonstrate resıdence elsewhere). The confussion as ever is fuelled by the lack of detail, communication or real deffinition.
It ıs however more lıkely that thıs only relates to Turkısh cıtızens, resıdent ın Turkey ownıng a foreıgn flagged vessel.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
In typical Turkish fashion this announcement has been made with little thought and even less discussion with many interested parties!
I have been aware of this law for some time, since it is no secret in Turkey. My understandıng from the local yacht club, coastguard and Turkısh Yacht Federation, is that this law relates to foreign flagged yachts owned by Turkish citizens.
Bringing the register in line with many other countries, by using residence for qualification.
It is not clear (because no detaıl ıs yet decıded) ıf this will affect foreıgn owners ınsıde the country for an extended duratıon, or whether ıt would requıre the owner to leave the country for a duratıon (to demonstrate resıdence elsewhere). The confussion as ever is fuelled by the lack of detail, communication or real deffinition.
It ıs however more lıkely that thıs only relates to Turkısh cıtızens, resıdent ın Turkey ownıng a foreıgn flagged vessel.

Satsuma - the CA's contact have come back with a very similar explanation - It will NOT effect the non Turkish Yachtsman.

So long as they can find a way of encouraging all turks to trust their Government, they will succeed in getting these yachts reflagged.

The problem is that Italy Greece etc a have all tried it before and still not persuaded their citizens to flag their boats correctly. All have failed. Yes they have cut the tax and repealed an old law which apparently stopped anyone importing a yacht over 2 years old (True ?? or a trumpism?) hence why so many - even if they had wanted to, flagged their yachts American.

What tax do Turks currently pay on yachts?

We need to be on watch that long terms residence but not citizens of Turkey don't get hounded. - But then if one is a long term resident, then surely you should pay local taxes?

Norman_E

Visit site
This is obviously aimed at all the Delaware registered yachts owned by Turks. Turkey has long made it very expensive for locals to register leisure vessels, with high charges, some based on engine power. By cutting costs and forcing such foreign registered but Turkish owned boats to leave the country for a big part of each year the evidently hope that owners will re-register, but I cannot see it working. The owners of boats registered in Delaware are all hidden behind a $100 Delaware shell company, and sail using a Transit Log, just like foreign owners. How will the authorities prove that the owners are Turkish citizens, unless they just decide that all Delaware registered boats where the owner cannot produce a US passport have to be re-registered in Turkey or leave? Now that would be a simpler solution, and might actually work.

akyaka

Visit site
This is obviously aimed at all the Delaware registered yachts owned by Turks. How will the authorities prove that the owners are Turkish citizens

Agree. They have previously tried a moratorium on KDV,the Turkish equivalent of VAT, which these boats are avoiding paying but without success.

As Turkey has a well regulated mandatory ID system there would be little problem proving who are Turks. When buying goods with guarantees in shops I have to show my ID which is entered on the invoice.

I can see that there would be concerns from charter companies registered as businesses in Turkey and having foreign flagged boats in their fleets.

Last edited: